Pain When Putting Collar On And Off

Today, for the first time, when I was putting Tracker's martingale on him (which I always do very carefully), he kind of jumped up slightly, snapping his teeth ever so slightly, but without sound. I thought that was weird and that maybe I had not been careful enough. Then, when I tried taking the collar off, carefully, he gave me this grave look of concern and I tried my best, and while he seemed uncomfortable, he was cooperative. Obviously I'll manipulate the collar for now so it's huge when going over his head (and then tighten it again), until I see the vet, but what I'm wondering is what this might be: a tooth infection, or something in the ear? The ears look normal, but of course there's only so far one can look.

My guess is his ears and the compression of taking the collar on and off just hurts. I've had a yelp or two happen when I haven't been careful slipping the collar off before and it's just the way the ear was pushed in the wrong direction. Maybe check for redness or scabs on the outside of the ear (closest to the neck) just to see if there is some sensitivity from abrasion. I've often tucked the ears back and slid the collar over, instead of pulling the ears forward with the collar. Alternatively, like you've guessed, maybe something is going on in his ears. Have a look see. Anything look like coffee grounds in there? For safety sake, put a muzzle on him before you check things out.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

or he could have a neck issue ... watch for any reluctance to turn head (which can sometimes show up as "not interested in food" because they don't want to bend down). Any unusual exercise with these swings in weather (maybe a zoomie-gone-bad)?

My guess is his ears and the compression of taking the collar on and off just hurts. I've had a yelp or two happen when I haven't been careful slipping the collar off before and it's just the way the ear was pushed in the wrong direction. Maybe check for redness or scabs on the outside of the ear (closest to the neck) just to see if there is some sensitivity from abrasion. I've often tucked the ears back and slid the collar over, instead of pulling the ears forward with the collar. Alternatively, like you've guessed, maybe something is going on in his ears. Have a look see. Anything look like coffee grounds in there? For safety sake, put a muzzle on him before you check things out.

No, no coffee grounds.

or he could have a neck issue ... watch for any reluctance to turn head (which can sometimes show up as "not interested in food" because they don't want to bend down). Any unusual exercise with these swings in weather (maybe a zoomie-gone-bad)?

The head turning seems normal and no zoomies were run lately (his zoomies are of the more "sedate" variety anyway, he's 10). Of course, I get the occasional crick in the neck from doing nothing in particular. We'll see.

What about his lymph nodes? Are they swollen? That is a signs of infection and they can hurt when touched.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Could you not get a collar which buckles or clips on the side?

I dug up one of the old ones that form a much bigger loop that doesn't even touch his face, so that seems to be working.

What about his lymph nodes? Are they swollen? That is a signs of infection and they can hurt when touched.

I wouldn't know how to check for that but if this issue persists, I'll certainly take him to the vet.

Be careful with his neck! It is not at all uncommon for houndie's to have cervical issues in their neck. Properly diagnosed and treated they are usually well managed but serious harm can be done by collars etc or strenuous activity or by just ignoring it and hoping it will get better. You probably will need to at least x-ray and see what you are dealing with. A lot depends on the physical exam the vet will do and whether or not the vet is competent with greyhounds.

I dug up one of the old ones that form a much bigger loop that doesn't even touch his face, so that seems to be working.

I wouldn't know how to check for that but if this issue persists, I'll certainly take him to the vet.

For the future it can be useful to know. When you stroke you dogs face all the way to his neck there is the spot where the head ends and the throat begins and there be low his ears are the lymph nodes. Same spot as they are in humans. During an infection they swell and are very easy to feel - like some balls under the skin. There are several others through out the body but these are easy to find.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Thanks for everyone's input. I tried the collar Tracker wears regularly several times again now, paying close attention, and he was fine. If it comes back, I'll take him in (now that I know where his lymph nodes can be found, I'll check there first...).