Canine Flu Vaccine?

Hello! I live in Chicago and there are reports of canine flu being active again. After doing some research, I saw that there is a vaccine available (H3N2) and I was curious if others have given this to their greys (or other dogs). My boy is not regularly in contact with others in either a kennel or grooming situation, but I want him to interact with more dogs. One place that does large breed playgroups require the vaccination, and before I do anything (after consulting with my vet, obs), I wanted to cull the collective wisdom on here. So, have others vaccinated with H3N2 and/or H3N8?

Edited by Grey_Admirer

Koshi- formerly known as Osh Kosh Harley

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/canineflu/keyfacts.htm

This site gives information about the types of canine flu that have appeared. I remember when it first appeared in the greyhound racing kennels. There are also links that you should probably pursue. I see you are in Chicago which is listed as one of the outbreak sites. I don't know much about these diseases--I don't think it is a real problem here in Portland. If I were you, I would talk to your vet as he/she would know the local conditions. You might want to keep your dog away from dog parks/ play groups until he is vaccinated, but talk to your vet.

Do remember that the medical community has lots of experience with flu vaccines so it is probably safe.

Edited by Scoutsmom

My greyhound vet in Tinley Park is recommending the flu shots for the greyhounds. My boy is getting his second shot in the series tomorrow. He recommends staying away from dog parks,boarding kennels etc. Greyhounds Only has 7 greyhounds in their kennel who have the flu. I was hoping it had gone

away but I guess not.

Here in the UK at any rate flu vaccine is given as a quick spray up the nose, rather than an injection. I think it's only needed every 2 years. I do ask to have it done if needed at the same time as annual immunisations, as my dog goes back to the greyhound rescue for holiday kennelling sometimes. We've never experienced an adverse reaction. My vet also recommended that my old chap have it, even when he was no longer being kennelled, saying that while canine flu is not likely to prove much of a problem for a young, healthy dog it can be dangerous to an older or weaker one.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Yes, the flu vaccine is different than the kennel cough.

Oops, sorry - yes it's a completely different thing, I realise now. So ignore what I posted above!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

My greyhound vet in Tinley Park is recommending the flu shots for the greyhounds. My boy is getting his second shot in the series tomorrow. He recommends staying away from dog parks,boarding kennels etc. Greyhounds Only has 7 greyhounds in their kennel who have the flu. I was hoping it had gone

away but I guess not.

I just spoke to my vet and we are going to get the shot(s). The frustrating part is that I can't take him to flyball or agility class without it, so if I wanted to do some off-beat things with him, we'll have to get it anyway. In my heart I don't think there will be any adverse reaction but...well, you just never know. Thanks!

Koshi- formerly known as Osh Kosh Harley