Made The Switch To Raw.. Now Burping A Lot?!

Guest nicola

Hi humans and hounds, I'm back looking for more advice.

We made the switch to Raw with Merlin and things have been fab. To start with we bought a mixed meat box and while he wasn't pooping as much he was still a bit runny which we finally figured was due to him having different meats. We placed our second order which was single meat - just chicken. All was going fine but he's started burping a few times a day and when he does it smells absolutely disgusting. I'm not sure what's going on with him! Any advice?

You'll find they won't poop as much on raw than on kibble. Nearly half at least as there is more intake. If it's runny, usually that is a sign that there is not enough bone or there is too much organ.

Shouldn't be burping really. How much are you feeding and how often? Are you exclusively raw?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

The only other thing I'm thinking is how fast he might be eating, but truthfully his amount of burping could also just be normal for him...

There are some raw mixes that are different proteins and they should really only act slightly differently regarding the poop deposit. (ie. Ryder does best on a chicken and beef mix than on duck or salmon)

Hopefully others will chime in, as I'm not really sure. Maybe the batch you got was bad? Or maybe it's too much? I use this calculator...

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

He's a 60lb dog, I'm feeding 2.5% so 1.5lbs per day. I used that calculator when I first started so I don't think it's too much. He was fine with the chicken before this, so could perhaps be the batch. I've still got 40lbs of the stuff in my freezer though so he's going to have to put up with it!

It could be how fast he eats it, he tends to pick up the whole half pound chunk and swallow it in one. I've tried mashing it up a bit but he still manages to down it without chewing :riphair

Thanks for the advice :)

Stuff it in kongs instead of giving it to him in a bowl. Added benefit of increased mental stimulation. Chicken doesn't always sit well with dogs though I find that tends to happen more with kibble fed dogs, but you might adjust how you feed to slow him down and if that doesn't work switch completely to another protein and stick with that for a few weeks to see if it resolves. As for the runny, that's not a particularly high amount of bone, especially with the organ included which will tend to make things softer. If that continues to be an issue then I would get a mix with more bone or better yet just add some RMBs in to get the bone content up.

Also, I didn't see if you said how long since the switch, but it can take some time for them to adjust to the new raw diet so less changes early on tends to be better.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest LittleGreyAnnie

Hi. Both my dogs are fed raw food, and while they are generally quite good after eating a meal, if they eat too quickly both of them would burp within the first few minutes of eating. I just assumed it was normal so I wasn't too worried. If it's just a few burps after eating it should be perfectly fine and hopefully eating slower would result in reduced burps :)

Hey all, an update from us! The burping has resolved itself,. I think he may have just had a bit of a dodgy tummy. We did have some RMBs in his diet but the runny poo consisted so I think he may be sensitive to chicken. We're going to switch him to a different meat and see how we get on. He's been on raw since January and he's loving it. I need to add in some oils though as the poor thing has some dandruff so I'm going to get hold of some sardines in spring water and give that maybe twice a week. I read about adding egg too so I'll do the sardines first for a while then introduce the egg.

If he's had issues with consistency oily fish is probably the last thing I would add right now. Stick to one protein for a while and make sure everything is okay for several weeks, then introduce one new thing. Make sure the balance of bone content to meat is appropriate and don't overdo organ in any one meal when you add it in. Throwing an egg in now and then wouldn't make much difference in stool, but if you're concerned there's an issue with chicken, I'm not sure eggs are a great idea either.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."