Correct Dosage Of Metronidazole

so, i'm confused.....what is the correct dosage of metronidazole for a 59-63# greyhound? annie is somewhere between the two. one vet has prescribed 500mg, 2xs daily, the other partner in the practice said it's an overdose, 250mg, 2xs daily, max is 250mg & 500 mg- total of 750mg daily for her weight.

she is now taking a maintenance dose for her colitis of 250 mg. daily. she has responded well and if i do forget the sure signs of colitis reappear. it takes around 2 days to get her back in check. is that under what she needs?

and btw, what's the dosage for a 70-2# greyhound. while i'm asking....

thanks,

andrea

If the lesser dose works for her, I would stick with that. We used it for years off and on for Rocket's stress colitis until we got to the point of needing a daily drug. When we got to that point, the vet prescribed Tylan up to 3 times a day since Metronidazole has some undesirable side effects long term. According to our vet at the time Tylan is also not without some potential side effects, but less so than the Metronidazole.

Also, if you do go with Tylan eventually, be aware that the law is changing on it and it will require a prescription from a Vet. So far I have still been able to buy it online without a prescription, but have now seen 2 DEA bulletins posted online indicating that this is changing.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Tbhounds,colitis. I was hoping you would chime in,thanks

The answer is both :-). If the lower dose is managing the symptoms I would continue with that dose. Most vets are comfortable prescribing a 10mg/kg dose to start with but, as I mentioned the dosage (and frequency) can have a huge range. So, 500mg twice daily is appropriate but, always use the least amount new to control the symptoms.

thanks, the new vet that i am using informed me that the dosages have been lowered from 500 mg per dose to max 750mg daily for her weight. there have been neurological side effects. also, the higher dose, 500mg 2xs daily can result in loose stools- exactly what we were battling. everyone else i know has been sticking w/ the 500mg regime and a friend who is a retired vet said that it was too low a dosage. it's hard having a friend w/ is a retired vet and concerned but i use someone else. i figured, you(tbhounds) would be up on it.

annie is responding very well to the dosage. it's working and i figure why fix something that works. just curious.