Advice/input Needed (Behavior And Physical)

Guest Nyrak99

Guest Nyrak99
Hi Everyone,
First, I wanna apologize if I'm not posting this in the right place. I'm looking for some insight on some physical AND behavioral topics so I wasn't quite sure where to post. Please move it, or delete if it's a problem. Also, I'm sorry for the length of this post.
I need a little advice. My Fiance and I have two greys. Cori (3yr old female) and Dozer (4 yr old male) We adopted Cori almost 2 years ago and we adopted Dozer just a few short weeks ago, after our other dog, Hank (a terrier mix) very sadly passed away in early November at the age of 14.
I need some advice on a few things regarding newly adopted Dozer. As well as a little input on the dynamic between he and Cori.
Little background/setting the scene - My Fiance, Zack and I live in an apartment in Boston with our best friend (Renee) We don't have a big house or amazing yard but our dogs are loved to pieces and have three people to spoil and take care of them. Zack also works from home and I work part time from home, part outside so our greys are rarely left alone for any extended period of time.
Dozer (In general) He just came off the track in October. Obviously, since we've only had him a short time, we're still getting to know him and vise/verse. He seems to be a very sweet boy, very Velcro. Very non-reactive. tolerant.
Cori (In general) She's a sweet little girl. She never raced (only went through the traning) She likes other dogs very much but has a tendency towards being bossy/alpha. I think since she didn't spend much time on the track (if any) and she got to "civilian" life very early and was socialized with all kinds of dogs right from when we got her that she follows the more standard dog society/social rules much more than Dozer, if that makes sense.
(Dozer) Physical - We took Dozer for an exam with our vet a few days after getting him. Our vet told us that he is underweight. (it was obvious, you can see it) He's about 62lbs and she would like to see him closer to 70lbs.
We have been trying to work on helping him gain weight In a healthy/safe way. He does seem to also have a sensitive stomach although he also has a huge appetite as well. The shelter had been feeding him Purina One as a transition food from the track. Our vet is a fan of that food but I've heard from others that we might be better off feeding him something like a science diet/blue buffalo (which we're totally willing to do)
We did notice right off the bat that he can be prone to stomach upset so I ordered the Olewo carrots to mix in with his food and that seems to help things a lot. We also made a batch of the Satin Balls recipe that is supposed to be good for helping dogs gain weight.
I know it will take time for him to put on weight but I'm almost starting to worry that he looks even thinner! Also, when he does go to the bathroom, the volume is quite a lot so I'm getting paranoid that maybe he's not absorbing his food? He's also suffering with dry skin/coat which they think is also connected with the malnourishment.
Cori/Dozer Dynamic - They do get along, however, the issues that they are having I *think* are stemming from the fact that Cori is very aware of personal space and Dozer seems to have zero concept of personal space (With Cori or people). Dozer is also a BIG attention seeker (unless he is in deep relaxation/roach mode) But if they are both up and alert and I try to give Cori some affection, Dozer (more often than not) comes right over and tries to get in front of her. She doesn't challenge him on this but still I don't want him to always get in the way of her getting special attention.
Now, back when our Terrier, Hank was still alive, Cori was always trying to cuddle with him. Hank would tolerate it for maybe a few minutes but ultimately he was not into it. Dozer on the other hand seems very willing to do the cuddle thing with her but she's not really having it. In general she seems more comfortable with dog on dog affection when SHE'S the one initiating it. Dozer will think nothing of standing over her while she's lying on her bed, even trying to paw at her gently and she actually tolerates that pretty well most of the time but there are times, when he comes too close or gets too much in her space that she will tell him off and snap at him. I'm not sure whether to correct her when she does that or let them work it out. Obviously, seeing a dog "snap" can look scary but I know she's just trying to communicate with him. She also can get frustrated with him because she's very into rambunctious play and he's not. She'll play growl at him etc and try to entice him into play and he usually doesn't go along.
They love going for walks together and they are brilliant at campaigning for food together and I'm hoping in time, they will really get to know each other's temperament and personality...
cleardot.gif

I'd love to hear any advice or suggestions you guys have. We want the best for these two amazing greys. They are both wonderful dog. I want them to be happy and healthy.

Thanks so much. I'm very grateful this forum is here!

Your vet doesn't sound greyhound savvy. Virtually ALL greyhounds have dry, flaky skin. Its genetic. Its why they don't smell doggy. Because they have very little oil in their fur. Omega fatty acid supplements usually help with that. As will regular brushing with a hound glove or soft brush.

Track hounds are anything but "malnourished." Only an anti racing vet would even suggest that. You should be able to see two or three ribs on a healthy greyhound of proper weight. If you can see more than that, your dog might need to gain a couple pounds. And he will, just from not racing. There is no rush to bulk him up. Remember, he isn't a Labrador and he isn't supposed to carry a layer of fat around on his skinny legs.

A lot of output is typical if you are feeding him a lot. My 64 pound male gets one cup of kibble at each meal, plus two or three latge milk bones each day. I walk him five times a day, amd he actually could stand to lose a pound or two.

Not much to contribute about their interactions other than time changes everything!

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

As far as the behavioral issues, a lot of that will change over time as they get used to one another and Dozer becomes more familiar with being a pet. Give them time and space to work things out. If you see one or the other start to get crabby, separate them for a bit as a time out. Use that time to give each oen some individual attention. Walking together is a good bonding activity.

As stated above, I would NOT be too concerned about his weight at this point. It will even out as he settles into pet life. Even if he has tested negative for worms, and even if he was wormed at the adoption kennel, he will likely need another round or two of worming. Hooks worms can hide in the body for months and be very tricky to eradicate. Search in the Health and Medical forum for the best worming protocol.

Part of his poop issues are likely due to trying to get him to gain weight. Satin balls have a lot of fat in them which can cause loose stools. And most commercial foods ahve carbs/filler in them, which will increase the volume. Also, changing foods and/or adding supplements will keep his intestines churned up. Purina One is an OK food, as long as he does well on it. If that's what you feed your girl, then it's simpler if he's eating it too. Don't try and change his food around until you get him to stable point.

Time and patience will be your friend!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The word "Bitch" has come to mean a bossy female for a reason. Many dog bitches are bitchy. My small girl, Bree, regularly snarls and snaps at my big lummox, Henry, when he gets too close. Of course she does then give in and let Henry have the bed or the couch that he wants. It sounds horrible but no one has ever spilled blood so I don't interfere and let them work it out. My sister's smooth collie is the ultimate bitchy bitch and she and Bree cannot stand each other. However Henry really likes her. I would recommend my approach for your household. Leave them to it unless blood is drawn. They will work it out

As to Dozer's diet (love the name): Most greys come to their forever homes with dry, flaky skin. Good food, regular grooming, and fish oil supplements will help with that.

Most vets will let their clients come in and use their scales whenever they want. If you think Dozer is losing weight, take him in and weigh him. I'm not sure what you mean by significant output from Dozer--is it more than your girl produces? Is it comparable given his larger size? Also I have learned that cheap food produces much more output and smells. The real high end stuff often produces diarrhea as they are too rich. I have found the Iams Turkey and Barley works great for my pups. You might want to try experimenting with foods. What has your girl been eating? I don't know what size Dozer is, but my Henry (80 lbs) gets 1 1/2 cup plus a little cat food 2x a day.

As to his skinniness, remember to compare him to other greyhounds, not labs. If he then looks skinny, consider trying to fatten him up. Just remember that many non-greyhound people are used to fat (excuse me, "well-loved") dogs and think all greyhounds are skinny. It is not just American people that are over -weight.