Should I Be Concerned With This Bruise?

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty much new in this greyhound world. I've adopted my sweet dog 6 months ago, she is 3 yo.

We did a check up last Thursday, a tick-borne screen, vaccine to Bordetella and also started with Revolution (Selamectin).

Last Sunday one huge red mark has just appeared in her neck, it looks like a bruise.

I did a quick research here and found that some Vet draw blood and then it gets bruised in the place, is that true? Do they draw blood from the neck? I thought they took it from the veins in the paws.

Should I be concerned about it? Her behavior is normal and did not change. Sorry but this is so weird to me.

Is this just a bruise or allergy reaction? I'm thinking about going to the Vet today, since is something I never saw before.

qJoqdEm.jpg?1

Edited by denisetanaka

Hi there. I believe I see a mark on the vein in the middle of the bruise so I believe it's from the blood draw. Could you phone the vet and ask where they took the blood? If they say her neck, then it's some blood leakage leading to the bruise. It's not totally abnormal. Having said that, Greyhounds can bleed more than other breeds and it's just something to keep in mind for the future. If she would ever need surgery or a dental, giving her Amicar would be a good idea. I'm sure others will chirp in about Amicar.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

It's probably from the blood draw - they either did not hold pressure to the site long enough or they went thru the vein and then backed up - either of which would release blood to the surrounding tissue. Next time have them do it from the leg which is usually fine with a dog like a greyhound - the veins are big. If they have to do it from the neck - make sure they hold the gauze there for longer.

I agree with sending the photo to the vet. It's most likely due to the blood draw, but they should know that they're causing bruising like that.

After we discovered an enormous bruise on one of our boy's necks, we started telling vets that we do not want any blood draws from the neck. Besides the bruising, I can only imagine how frightening it must be for a dog to have blood drawn that way. And what if something went wrong with the draw? I shudder to think about it.

I understand everyone's fear about drawing blood from the jug-I guess it's because we are relating it to ourselves-but please believe me it's preferred and to be honest the dogs prefer it too-leg sticks hurt more.

Edited by tbhounds