Random Barking

Guest mpsoderberg

Guest mpsoderberg

I adopted 3.5-year-old Tanner a little more than a month ago, and he's been such a great addition to our family. I think he's figured out that he's now in his forever home because just last week he started barking. It's a tail-wagging playful bark, but it's a little intimidating nonetheless and I'm not sure what he needs. He's usually been walked, potty-ed and played with. Anyone else dealing with random bouts of barking? I try to keep my cool when he does it and not react with barking back at him!

It's a "hey come on let's have some fun" barking. Colin does that, too and he even growls at me. And I speak with my highest soprano or bark and growl back at him. Lasts for 2 minutes, or so. Than it's back to relaxing - it lasted longer when he was younger.

Col is 12 years old.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

My dogs bark or roo at me mostly when they're impatient and want something. Sometimes it's dinner, sometimes to go out, but often just because I'm doing something that doesn't involve them. While most greyhounds would probably be content with sitting on the couch watching t.v. with their people, my dogs are a little higher energy and typically start barking at me when they're bored of me sitting in front of the t.v. Nothing makes them happier than going down to the basement and doing some work.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

First dog?

He's using his voice. I don't know why it would intimidate you. If you don't want him to do it, you need to start teaching him "quiet."

I don't like my dog barking in the house because I'm in a condo, so I just tell him, "There is no barking allowed here!" He usually just wants a little extra attention, or to play. He's a good boy for me all day and stays home alone, silently, while I work, so I indulge his needs when he speaks his mind!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mpsoderberg

Thanks for the comments! I think I'm allowed to be a little intimidated when an 80-pound dog is staring at me and barking even if I love him dearly. Nope, not my first dog.

hahaha. Yes. And you know why he does it. To see you jump. Mine does it mostly to my husband if he hasn't been patted in awhile (which varies on what HE thinks is awhile..LOL).
I roo with my boy and he lovvvvves it.

But yes having a big boy bark at you can be shocking. Mine is 83lbs and has been known to walk up behind my hubby and just bark. We have a fully tiled house so it echos! He learned VERY fast to not bark at the cat.. LOL

When our hounds do that, it's usually an invitation to play. We playfully pounce around in a circle, or run into another room encouraging the hounds to chase us.

Two benefits:

1.) It's fun.

2.) Helps to play games encouraging a dog to chase their human vs. human chasing after dog.

Reason: If a dog escapes outside, it helps if the dog's natural response is to run towards a human vs. away from human, so dog can be captured more easily. :)