Greyhound With Pra

phall

I will soon (this coming weekend) be bringing home a greyhound (Lucas) with progressive retinal atrophy. He is just 3 years old and was diagnosed a few months ago. He still sees well - has some problems in low light. I'm glad to be getting him at this early point in the disease so that he'll bond with me and Sox (my other greyhound) and get adapted to our home. Lucas is a wonderful dog. He's social, playful, and very loving. I can't wait to get him home.

Has anyone had experience in working with and helping a greyhound adapt to slowly progressing blindness? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience and advice.

Pat Hall

Congratulations on your new dog and thank you for not being afraid of adopting a dog who will have limited vision! They really aren't that much different, in my experience.

There is a supplement that seems to slow the progression of PRA, it's called Occu-Glo, not to be confused with a Ocuvite (completely different and doesn't work for PRA). Sadly, my girl has thrown pups with PRA. At least one of her pups is on Occu-Glo and it does seem to help. There is a Yahoo Group called Owners of Blind Dogs, it was a godsend to me when my beloved non-grey, Sheila, lost her sight within 4 hours from SARDs (she could see when we left Las Vegas after Thanksgiving, was completely blind 4 hours later when we arrived at home in LA). Vision loss with PRA is much slower, so it's easier for the dog, and owner, to acclimate.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I do remember reading about it on here a few years ago, so you might want to do some searches of the forum. The main thing i remember that i thought was really interesting and can really help is to use different scents in different rooms to help them distinguish where they are. I would imagine this would be even more effective if begun while he can still see, so he will associate the scents with different rooms now while he can still see them.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

I do remember reading about it on here a few years ago, so you might want to do some searches of the forum. The main thing i remember that i thought was really interesting and can really help is to use different scents in different rooms to help them distinguish where they are. I would imagine this would be even more effective if begun while he can still see, so he will associate the scents with different rooms now while he can still see them.

Yes, I learned that trick from the Owners of Blind Dogs forum. When Sheila lost her sight in 4 hours I put different essential oils at nose height in each room so she would know which room she was in. I didn't need to do it for years, just a few months. I also wore a bracelet with bells on it at home and put a cat bell on my other dog's collar, again only for a few months.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

When we would go for walks I taught her the commands upon stopping at a curb or step, "step up" and "step down". That helped a lot. Most people seeing us walking never knew she was blind. She lost her sight when she was 10, but she never missed a beat, she was always very confident. She could, through the power of scent, find her tennis balls under chairs! She'd lay on the floor with them between her front legs, bounce them and catch them!