Question About Longivity

Dogs bred for work purposes, actually tend to be a LOT healthier dogs. Greyhounds do not have a lot of hereditary problems (hip dysplasia, etc.) that most large breed purebreds have as they have been bred for a sound body (not looks for the show ring). Working sleddogs and sheepdogs tend to be quite healthy as well. Greyhounds are unfortunately prone to things like osteo, which could be more prevalent in some racing lines. As a whole though, I am thankful that greyhounds have not been bred large scale in the pet/breeder industry.... it has ruined a lot of breeds.

Longevity and good health are obviously connected and good breeders strive to breed for good health & longevity, not just athletic ability that lasts for 3-5 years or a beautiful dog that has a slew of health issues. But this is a controversial subject. So in my personal greyhound owner experience I had 6 greyhounds including my two current boys:

(should have been included with the above)

I agree with both of these comments. Racing greys are bred for performance, and care is taken to keep their lines relatively pure -which is why they do not "conform" as well as show dogs. For their size, they generally are longer lived, healthier dogs than other breeds of similar stature (not necessarily weight). Considering how much this dog has been selectively bred, especially in the last 200 years, this is remarkable. With that said, the breeder plays a part in this as well. Having had a number of greys from both reputable and questionable breeders, there is definitely a correlation between health and where the dog came from. Following the fosters that I have worked with over the years seems to confirm this as well. One breeder I know of seems to have a higher than average incidence of OS and organ/immuno issues. Another breeder consistently produces healthy, long lived, well adjusted dogs.

Prior to greys, I worked with other breed adoption agencies that placed a lot of bred-for-work small shepherd dogs. Again, bred for work, many of these dogs didn't meet AKC standards, but they were long lived, very healthy dogs. 15-17 years was not the exception and long term placement was extremely important. Like greys, they also had special considerations for placement, so adoption groups were very important. And, like greys, where they came from also made a difference in their long term health.

Just love them while you have them.

Well said, Kyle

:thumbs-up

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg