Sudden Scared Of Going Outside And Going Potty

Guest WildSparkler

Guest WildSparkler

So we have a slight problem here, and I am looking for any advice or experience possible!

Roxy has always been a bit skittish, but over the last months/few weeks she has started to develop an extreme phobia of going outside, and getting her to potty is extremely difficult. It's hard to remember when it all started, but it has quickly escalated. I want to say it was around 4th of July, she got pretty freaked out by the fireworks, and started being skittish when going out after dark. And for awhile it was just at night, she wouldn't want to go out, and if she heard something she would just panic, and hyperventilate type pant, and would not go potty. (We live in an apartment and do not have a yard, by the way, so we have to walk for potties).

Then I want to say it started to get worse when we had a couple of really big storms, with giant thundering. And one day we were out and there were some kids who rode bike over a home-made ramp, which sounded vaguely of fireworks or thunder, and she completely lost it. Hyperventilating panting, pulling on the leash, complete panic. Only wants to get back home. Wouldn't calm down for over an hour once we got in. The next day we heard an airplane, and she froze and just shook. Then she started getting scared of yelling, car doors, you name it.

We went to the vet a few days ago, and did blood panels and everything, thinking possibly hypothroid. Blood work was fine. Doctor decided to put her on a small dose of alprazolam (Xanax), and fluoxetine (Prozac). I will pick up the meds tomorrow, so hopefully they will help! Also picked up and Adaptil collar and 'calming' treats. Anything to help.

The strange thing is last year, I don't remember her hardly being afraid of fireworks or thunderstorms (excpet for huge ones). The only other thing I could think of that had changed, which might be a long stretch, is that we just started K9 Advantix II as her flea and tick meds in May, and had just given her 3rd dose the day of her major breakdown. I don't know if that could have any possible connection, but I'm trying to thing of anything here! So hoping for any ideas, suggestions, tips, advice, anything to try to help. I feel so bad for her to be freaked out all the time, and it's so hard to get her to potty. (Although during the time of panic I know not to baby her!)

Sorry for the long post...thanks for reading and any help or encourage you can give!

Guest WildSparkler

Forgot to ad! We visited my parents out of town last weekend, whom have a fenced backyard. She is very familiar there, but she was out running around, laying out in the yard and playing in her pool all day. Acting completely normal. Until it got dark, she still wouldn't go outside. But was more than happy out during the day, even with loud noises throughout the neighborhood. I was hoping maybe she would forget being so scared when we got back home, but no :( It's getting hard to try to get her out before dark, luckily we get up early in the morning for work to go potty. She is usually better in the morning too. I better stop writing so much, I just wish I could figure this out!

I'd consider a vision issue.

I had a mixed breed dog who started acting weird only at night, and it turned out he had macular degeneration which was most likely causing the problem because he couldn't see well in the dark. It can take a greyhound a long time to get over something that freaked them out, and it's rarely rational--the way their brains process a fearful situation.

Can you get her to take a treat when you're outside and it's dark? I'd start there.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest WildSparkler

She doesn't seem to have a problem with vision, she gets around very well and seems to see alright otherwise. Unless I just can't tell. Cause she is scared during the day too, unless that stems from being scared at night. We have to go back in like 2 weeks to check up on how the meds are going, I'll bring that possibility up then too.

Cheese. She loves cheese more than anything else! I have been bringing cheese with, and she will eat that on a walk. It helps a little bit, but not enough, ha.