Pra Question I Cannot Find The Answer To Anywhere...

If a greyhound is a carrier of the PRA gene can they also develop PRA? My girl has had 19 pups and at least one, if not two, of her male pups have developed PRA, so clearly, she has the recessive gene. She's done a couple of odd things at night lately (not bumping into stuff) that have made me wonder if a carrier can also develop it. She's 9, so a little long in the tooth to be developing it..IF I understand it correctly. Thanks in advance.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

It is normal to loose eyesight during older age, for dogs as for people. To develop an illness due to a recessive gene you have to carry both recessive copies, like that

Mother Father

XX Xx

Kids New Partner

Xx Xx

Grandkids

XX Xx Xx xx

XX - healthy

Xx - carries illness, is not ill just carrier

xx - ill

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I could explain quite well in German.... in English not so good, sorry.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

No, to get the illness you need both copies of the recessive gene and not only one. You can look up Mendel and his experiments on plant hybridization.

He crosses a red with a white plant. All the plant babies are red. Crossed with one another he gets 3 red plants and one white.

The first red plant carries rr for red. The first white plant carries ww for white.

The plant babies are red but carry rw - one for red and one for white. But red is stronger than white, so white (recessive) doesn't show.

The next generation rw x rw (red plant x red plant, both carriers) happens to be 3 red plants (rr, rw, rw) and 1 white plant (ww).

When you cross two plants everyone gives half of the information. So in the first generation there are only carriers which sray red through their whole life but their children receive the possibility to be white when both recessive genes happen to be in the same plant.

It's like that with PRA, too. The word for it is autosomal recessive - google translater told me. I hope the translation is correct.

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

No problem. I'm glad I could explain it for you to understand. My English is lacking in some parts - like science, obviously.

It can be that your girl looses some of her eyesight due to her age, like older people do. Perhaps your vet has an idea what is happening. Good luck with finding the reason and hopefully some medical ways to help your little girl.