Announcement - August Is Greyhound Health Month

To coincide with our annual conferences, The Sighthound Wellness Conference Aug. 5th-7th and the North American Sighthound Health Conference Sept., 23rd we have decided to officially declare that August is (unofficially) Sighthound Health Month!

All month long we will be making special posts about Sighthounds and their differences to "regular" dogs, greyhound trivia and more. Check back every day during August for these special posts!

Greyhound Health Initiative Facebook Page

d4bec81b-fc07-49f4-8eb1-6b4bf0c4c0a9.jpg

Edited by HopeForHounds

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

What a greyt way to educate and celebrate at the same time In our home greyhound month is every day :colgate I'm sure lots of people would agree. Wonderful idea!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Heartworm%20med%20reminder.jpg

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

13902628_2098217520404182_12967001615963

Link to full article by Dr Couto

Are Sighthounds Really Dogs?

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping our Sighthounds Safe

10599303_10152606699246125_6253473578080

Just like children, dogs need to be protected from poisons and toxic products. Since greyhounds and other sighthounds are sensitive to medications it isn't a stretch that they may be more susceptible to cleaning products and other household items.
Keep your dog our of areas where cleaning products are being used or stored. Some cleaning products might only cause mild stomach upset, but others can cause bad burns to the tongue, mouth and stomach.
When using pest bait or traps, put them in areas that aren't accessible to your pets. Most bait contains sweet smelling inert ingredients, like jelly, peanut butter or sugar, which can also attract your pets.
Never give your dog medication unless directed by a veterinarian. Many medications that are safe for humans can be deadly for animals.
Keep all prescription and over-the-counter drugs out of your pet’s reach, preferably in closed cabinets. Pain killers, cold medicines, anti-cancer drugs, antidepressants, vitamins and diet pills can be lethal to animals, even in small doses. For example, one 200mg ibuprofen tablet can cause stomach ulcers in a dog weighing 10 pounds.
Never leave chocolate out. Even small amounts can cause problems.
Many common household items can be lethal to animals. Mothballs, potpourri oils, coffee grounds, homemade play dough, fabric softener sheets, dishwashing detergent, batteries, cigarettes, alcoholic drinks and hand and foot warmers are all highly toxic, even in small amounts.
Automotive products such as gasoline, oil and antifreeze should be stored in areas that aren't accessible to your pet. Less than one tablespoon can be lethal to a dog weighing 20 pounds.
Before buying a flea or tick product for use on your sighthound, ask your veterinarian for a recommendation.
Read all of the information on labels before using a product on your pet or in your home. Always follow the directions.
If a product is for use only on cats, it should never be used on dogs.
Make sure your companion animals don’t enter areas where foggers or house sprays have been used for the period of time written on the label.
Make sure your pets don't go on lawns or in gardens treated with fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides until they have dried completely. Always store these products in areas that aren't accessible to your pets.
If you're uncertain about the use of any product, ask the manufacturer and/or your veterinarian for instructions.
Provided by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. For more information, visit www.aspca.org

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

14022140_2105940096298591_81559716772709

As some of you may be aware, we are going through a very personal osteosarcoma episode right now: one of our greyhounds was diagnosed with it last Wednesday.

I'm going to be making a series of posts documenting how everything has unfolded to date and then I'll keep making updates as things continue to evolve.

My hope is that it gives those of you who haven't been through this yet a better perspective on how devastating osteo can be. I also hope that it will help set some expectations for someone going through this in the future who just got the diagnosis and has no idea what they're in for.

I promise I will only post relevant updates so the blog doesn't become and endless string of "Day 3: she pooped today" entries.

Thank you for your continued support of GHI and well-wishes for my family and I. -Brian Collins, Executive Director

A Journey Through Osteosarcoma (Part 1)

Edited by HopeForHounds

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Please continue to follow Lena and her family as they share their personal "Journey Through Osteosarcoma". All of us within this GreyTalk community have been touched by this dreaded cancer within our own hounds or the hounds of others. It's very seldom that we get to take this journey in such an intimate way and learn at the same time of the many emotional decisions that need to be made along the way as well as the many options that may be available .

A Journey Through Osteosarcoma (Part 2)

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Grey Talk has always been a wellspring of information about our sighthounds. It is a place where we can learn, discuss our hounds, share information and share our hounds. We hope that as you follow Lena's journey, you benefit by gaining a greater understanding of this disease that takes so many of our beloved hounds. Thank you Brian and Suzie for sharing this personal journey with us.

A Journey Through Osteosarcoma (Part 3)

Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

• 2 weeks later...

Please continue to follow Lena's journey with Brian and Suzie. As many of us are aware, the decision making process can be difficult, the journey strewn with obstacles and hearts wanting to make the best decision for our hounds.

A Journey Through Osteosarcoma (Part 4)

Edited by rycezmom