Playful Air Snapping

Wolfgang is a smiler and an air-snapper. When he gets excited, he pulls his lips back and sticks out his teeth. When he gets real excited, he starts air-snapping. We think it's funny, and we know enough about greyhounds to see that it's 100% playful. But to other people, it looks a little scary. Anytime we have guests over, someone inevitably asks, "Oh my God! Did he just try to bite me!" Is there anything we can do to re-direct his snappiness? We're having the dogs at our wedding next month.

I have no advice, but I love the snappies :lol The snappy pups are a little harder to show for adoption, though, because people keep trying to pull their arms away and back up no matter how much I say "He won't bite you, he's just really happy and shows that by grinning and air-snapping!"

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest KarenD

I know what you mean. It did scare me at first too but after we learned about out Lucy we could better educate others. What still scares me is the nipping.....a fine line between marks on the skin w/bruises and broken skin.

Have a foster now that does this.

Trying to train him to calm down. Slow going.

Redirect him to a handy toy or throw a ball. You might also be able to calm him by asking him to do commands.

Yes, it's totaly adorable if you know what's going on! But it *can* also be dagerous if your snapper doesn't have good bite inhibition. Toni isn't a smiler, but she does air snap when she gets excited or overly stimulated. Unfortunately, she's NOT careful and she has bitten both of us hard enough to draw blood when she accidently connects. She's not biting on purpose, she just can't control herself when she's amped up. Redirection works for her.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest mmmberry

I don't know if this would help someone who is scared, but if a dog really WANTS to bite there's no way he's gonna miss. Although if a dog doesn't intend to bite he might accidentally make contact, like greysmom said. I love when mine air snaps! He's playing with me and in a good mood.

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten bruises on my face from a totally innocent bonk from Ryder. He doesn't bite but he surely flicks his face and head at me for kissies. I often just need to be careful and pull my face out of harms way when he's that pent up. No other advice but love the air snapping!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

What a silly, happy boy! While I don't have advice for you, I cannot resist a comment on the adorable Wolfgang.

Luna does this awful looking lunge/ rumbly play growl thing when she sees dogs she wants to play with on our walks. I know her body language (always wagging tail, playful ears, relaxed muscles, etc.), and no she is absolutely no threat, but I'm sure it looks terrible to the other owner. So, I can relate to your sentiments.

By the way, I believe I have the same quilt as you. Do you have the matching zebra sheets? Whim just came out with dinnerware, and I couldn't resist buying a pair of the matching zebra mugs.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

By the way, I believe I have the same quilt as you. Do you have the matching zebra sheets? Whim just came out with dinnerware, and I couldn't resist buying a pair of the matching zebra mugs.

Yes ma'am! It's Whim! I do have the matching zebra sheets, they're fabulous!

Now, on to lurk at Macy's and find those mugs. :ph34r