Tracker Seems To Hate Going For Visits

We lead very reclusive lives and have not taken Tracker to many visits in the time we've had him for a range of reasons. Initially, when we visited with someone for an afternoon or evening, he would settle in after the initial excitement and then go to sleep. This was 5 years ago (he's now 9). Over the years he seems to have grown to like visits less and less, which he expresses by taking forever to settle, if at all, and has taken to standing there, looking at us, whining and sometimes barking. It's the change over the years that I've noticed, which is why I'm posting this. It's not a problem for us--we generally try to spare him visits because it's frustrating for us as well as him, so we normally get a house sitter and that suits him just fine. But sometimes it can't be avoided to take him with us, and then I feel bad for him. Fortunately, this only happens ca once a year or less.

So I'm just wondering: is this something others have experienced also? Is it an age thing? Lack of exposure? I'm not trying to fix it, just to figure out (if this is even possible) where he's coming from.

For what it's worth, we only took him to M&Gs twice years ago and he so clearly hated it, we never did it again. It seems to me that these days in particular, he's so set in his routine that any change just throws him for a loop. He stares at us as if to say: where's my sofa? Where's my bowl? Why am I here????

If he doesn't enjoy going, don't make him. We've had five greyhounds over the years and none of them particularly liked meet and greets. When we got Phoebe she expected every person she passed on a walk to pet her, but now two years later she doesn't really want people touching her when she's out for a walk. We attribute it to the fact that we are also sort of reclusive, as you put it, and we've rubbed off on her :lol

If he's happier at home, I wouldn't force him to go for visits. I can't say I blame him--I'd rather be at home than anywhere else, so why would my dog be any different? :)

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I think you've diagnosed it correctly - he just doesn't like to go places anymore. Some dogs are homebodies, like some people!

You say you don't want to fix it, but some melatonin or L-theanine (or something stronger) might make getting through those times you've just got to take him along a little easier to get through.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Desi doesn't much care to be out & about either. He likes attention from people, but he will not settle anywhere but home.

Meet & Greet? Will NOT lay down....just stand there & pant til his legs tremble.

Greyhound event? Just stands & watches......till his legs tremble.

I'm pretty reclusive myself, so I guess home is where we belong & where we're happiest.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Desi doesn't much care to be out & about either. He likes attention from people, but he will not settle anywhere but home.

Meet & Greet? Will NOT lay down....just stand there & pant til his legs tremble.

Greyhound event? Just stands & watches......till his legs tremble.

I'm pretty reclusive myself, so I guess home is where we belong & where we're happiest.

Which reminds me: we've stopped 6 years ago taking him to outdoor cafes/restaurants. He would just stand there, until the legs trembled, and pant. It's kind of funny because he ADORES car rides and going to new places where he can shower every square inch with his urine and sniff in one spot for 10 minutes each, but of course we also go home after that.

Sorella was a total homebody. She made that clear right away when she retired with me and I never asked her to change. She just *loved* being home.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Interesting topic.

We traveled a lot during the earlier years when we only had three hounds. Each hound traveled with their own gear (folding crates, ex-pens, etc.) All three hounds traveled very well, but when our male turned about 8-9 years old, he clearly became more of a homebody. He still enjoyed day adventures, car rides, and walks in new places, but no more extended weekend Greyhound events, or other multi-overnight vacation travels. He was always one to stand up no matter how long Meet and Greets lasted. He required an extra thick orthopedic dog bed during hotel stays, and restaurant outings. He taught his vets that a thick dog bed is a **must** during veterinary hospital stays (a towel, blanket, or comforter is not considered a decent hospital bed for Greyhounds).

. He taught his vets that a thick dog bed is a **must** during veterinary hospital stays (a towel, blanket, or comforter is not considered a decent hospital bed for Greyhounds).

This, absolutely. When Desi had to spend a week in hospital to rehab from a big clot, I bought him a crib mattress with his favorite blankies on top.

That was acceptable.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Annie is 8-1/2. I've had her almost 5 years. I am widowed so it's Annie, Penny-the-cat and me. In the winter, we go for days and not see another person so we're often very solitary. She still loves going in the car and settles in when we visit other people. We average a 3-4 hour car ride to visit family every 2 months or so. She's not happy at my son's because they live in an apartment building and there's no back door to open to go P&P, and she's not crazy about the elevator and then a long walk to the grass site. She does settle in and they always make room for her on their couch, which does make her happy. Nonetheless, I feel bad for her, but it is what it is and I'm not going to not visit my son and his family because of it. I hope she never gets to the point, other than a medical reason not related to emotions, that she doesn't want to visit anyone because, frankly, she'll have to suck it up.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest xengab

Mine likes the meet n greets ONLY if other hounds are there too. He needs his hound time and seemed to learn a lot from watching the other greys do things.

Very much not a leader or alpha personality, very happy to follow along.

He doesnt mind visits to starbucks with me when I visit my writing friends. Came on vacation with us to my MILs and rode the lift like a champ.

He did well, he doesnt mind people and likes to please us.

If he was stressed after the first time, I'd not have tried for a third time. He has his mat, he settles and goes to sleep. He knows I will not let strangers touch him without permission.

But other greys I've seen arent into that, like just being at home and thats fine too! Hire a sitter :) Im not hugely social either compared to others..

Doesnt hurt anyone by staying home.