Peeing Issue, Advice Sought

Hester has now peed in the house three times in the last couple weeks. Each incident occurred when we have left him alone and gone out for dinner from 5:30 - 8:30 PM. His daily routine which was followed on the days of the accidents is:

• breakfast 7:30 AM
  • morning hike 8:30 – 10:00 AM
  • turn out and a turkey neck at 1PM
  • afternoon hike 4:00 - 5:00 PM
  • dinner 5:00 PM
  • evening walk 8:30 – 9:30 PM

He pees as far away from the locations where he sleeps as possible, twice in a corner (different corners) of the lower level of our home, and tonight in one of my sons rooms (I had blocked access to the lower level hoping to solve the problem). All doggie accidents whether Hester’s recent ones of those of visitor dogs in the past have been obliterated with Natures Miracle Oxy Formula. Our home is very large with extensive carpeted areas on multiple levels.

Hester is nearly 10.5 years old. His diet and health has not changed since he arrived 4+ years ago. He sleeps from 9:00 PM to 7:30 AM without asking to go out. Sometimes he refuses a turnout after breakfast at 7:30 AM and waits until our morning hike. Other then the peeing his behaviour has not changed. He has never peed in the house before.

I am at a loss. Can I rule out a UTI? The dog can hold it for twelve hours if I am present. Perhaps some other medical issue? He has an epic ability to continue to mark for as long as he is walked. He may pee as many as 15 or 20 times on a walk.

Could it be behavioural? Hester is absolutely obsessed with me. Still an extreme velcro dog when I am present, often refuses to walk with other family members, but also seemingly completely calm when I say goodbye. Sometimes when I return he will make sure his nap is properly concluded before he comes to greet me.

It is as if he has just decided that it is OK to pee in the house as opposed to waiting for his next walk.

My plan is to continue to close off areas of the house when I am away (son's room now closed). Is there anything else I could do? Advice is very much appreciated.

Hard to believe this perfect dog is having a problem.

Hester%20Head%20Shot%20BW.jpg

Edited by KickReturn

I have no idea if you always did that routine or not, but for us, Jack needs a walk after dinner if we are to leave even with a walk before dinner. Maybe if you switch it up? Again I just don't know if you have been doing this for the last 4 years or not, so it could be completely unrelevant...

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Vet -- urinalysis and bloodwork. If something is amiss, pup may be able to hold it when calm and relaxed (e.g., overnight) but not when awake and anticipating your return, a walk, etc.

If all checks out well there (hope it does!), might give dinner a little earlier and give him an extra outdoor potty break before you leave. Systems can change a little as a dog ages. :)

Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Take a first morning urine specimen to the vet - could be an infection or the start of kidney issue or maybe even sugar (is there more water drinking?).

Schedule a vet appointment for blood work and overall workup.

Order the male doggie diapers to help control where the accidents occur.