Early Morning Wake Up Call

Guest ClydeAndKellie

Guest ClydeAndKellie

So I'm kinda new to the Forum, been lurking for a while gathering info. I have a small problem so I figured I was see if anyone can offer any advice. I got Kellie in April '15. At first she slept on on her bed next to my bed. About 6 months after I got her she decided it was time to sleep in my bed which wasn't a problem for me. She's not very cuddly so she took her half of the bed and I took mine. That lasted about 2 months before she decided she didn't want to be locked up in the room and she decided to sleep in the living room by herself. That was fine as well. Problem is that since then she has decided that I need wake up between 4 and 415 am. Prior to this she got up when i got up, 6am every morning including weekends. When it first started happening I figured she needed to go out, nope, she won't go out, she's just excited I'm up and follows me to the kitchen while I get a glass of water then watches while I head back to bed. This morning I decided to ignore her. I laid there and listened to 45 minutes of huffing, whining and paw stomping (yes, she stomps her front paw when she wants attention) before she got bored an headed back out to the living room. An hour later she was back, I ignored her until my alarm went off at 6am. I need to find a way to stop this because I am not changing my schedule so I can get up at 4am. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate any assistance...

-Clyde

When they first come, it seems like they always want to get up at 5am. I just ignore them for a while and it goes away. I haven't ever have one do that unless they had a potty emergency. I wish you luck but I would just continue to ignore her. DON'T EVEN OPEN YOUR EYES! That is all it takes to get Myrtle all excited.

Ignore it.

I know how hard it is.

I really do! I have BTDT with a few dogs.

But you must not speak to her, look at her or even acknowledge that she is there.

You may have to lay perfectly still, not moving even an inch.

She will stop.

Sooner or later.

It may very well get worse before it gets better, but it will stop if you refuse to acknowledge that she is there.

It might take a week of your sleep being disturbed. It might only take a couple of days.

:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Yeah. The only thing I'd check is whether she's cold or if your heating or something switches on at that time. I know that I tend to wake up cold at that time of morning if I haven't got enough covers on, so I'd check that first. Is she in PJs?

Assuming she's not cold, I'd be ignoring it. But I'm with BatterseaBrindl. Opening your eyes is fatal. My Paige rests her nose on my pillow beside me and staes at me. Unfortunately she can now tell by changes in my breathing whether I'm awake or not, and this morning chose to jump on my head and bang me with a front paw to tell me to get up. It's been going on for over four years now.

Likely possibilities: hunger; uncomfortable body temperature; urine/bowel/tummy discomfort; too much sleeping/boredom overall; uncomfortable bedding.

I'd suggest providing all below (if you're not already doing so):

1. Rapid-pace leashed walks/exercise (if she's physically able) and favorite sniffing spots, plus mind stimulation during daytime.

2. Provide a bedtime snack (e.g., 1/3 cup of kibble).

3. Watch her eliminations during potty outings, especially the last bedtime outing to ensure she's fully eliminating.

4. Provide extra thick dog bed/s in draft free place (not just a blanket/comforter on the floor).

5. Be aware of inside or outside neighbors' noises at that time.

6. During day, happily practice teaching her a verbal cue: "Go to your bed" (or place), and reward with special treats/praise/toy.

Later, cue that behavior during overnight times, but only when you're sure she doesn't need a potty outing.

7. As others mentioned, Greyhounds are temperature sensitive, she may need to wear Greyhound jammies during winter.

8. Temporarily block access to your face while you're sleeping.

Stomping of feet: I love that. My girl doesn't express much emotion so when I hear that, I know something's up.

If I understand your post correctly, it appears you close your bedroom door when you go to bed at night. (" That lasted about 2 months before she decided she didn't want to be locked up in the room and she decided to sleep in the living room by herself.")

If so, I suspect she wants to be in your room with you. Can you leave your door open? That way Kellie has a choice of her bed in your room and her bed in the living room or even sharing your bed with you.

I always giggle when I see the bedtime snack suggestion. I think it's cute, and I'm not denying my dog would LOVE that, but Millions of dogs all over the world make it through the night without a bed time snack. There really is no reason to start on that path unless you have one of those dogs who vomits bile in the middle of the night, and you don't.

Ignore her is the only thing that is going to work.

I don't let my dog decide where he is going to sleep. I have cats, and I don't want them in the bedroom when I sleep (cause the fat one likes to sleep ON me) and so I keep my bedroom door closed from about 6 PM until I go to bed. I FORCE (yes, I am a horribly mean greyhound owner) my dog to walk from the couch to the Tempur-Pedic and sleep there so I can close the door and not have him on the wrong side of it, cause I know he would eventually come to the door and insist I open it if he was allowed to stay on the couch.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck