New And Anxious

Guest picopaco

Hang in there. You're still figuring each other out and working on the bond. I can't remember - do you walk her? Because getting out and walking together is the fastest and best way of bonding and developing trust in each other. My first grey, Brandi was very timid. i now trust her completely, and she trusts me as well, because of the hours we've spent pack walking and doing obedience training. She's also now the grey who would lay her body on the line for me to protect me.

Great advice on this thread. Just wanted to reiterate that it is TOTALLY REASONABLE for you to have a rule that no one should pet or touch your hound while she's in her bed, even if she never seems to mind it. We have that rule at home, even though he looks so darn cuddly and pettable when he's zonked out in his bed with his fuzzy blanket. We have this rule not because he sleep startles (he doesn't), but because we want him to feel calm and secure in his bed no matter what, and to know that he can retreat to it if he ever wants to be left alone. He gets plenty of affection outside of his bed when he's lazing about near us, or will go solicit affection from whomever in the house he decides needs to be petting him.

I agree with others not to clap to wake your dog. Saying her name is fine. Calmly and cheerfully. Also that walks are great to help the bonding process. Hand-feeding, etc. Lots of wisdom on these forums :-)

Guest picopaco

Hang in there. You're still figuring each other out and working on the bond. I can't remember - do you walk her? Because getting out and walking together is the fastest and best way of bonding and developing trust in each other. My first grey, Brandi was very timid. i now trust her completely, and she trusts me as well, because of the hours we've spent pack walking and doing obedience training. She's also now the grey who would lay her body on the line for me to protect me.

Oh yeah--at least 2 walks a day (aside from when she refuses due to the weather haha).

Guest picopaco

Because I found that the one on one time exploring and getting to know each other (so becoming really really familiar with body language and communication) was what helped and I can do that only without any other distractions.

Oh yeah, we have a lot of 1-on-1 time.

Guest picopaco

Thanks everyone... I'm just gonna chill the f out and enjoy my doggy, which is the whole point anyway :) I'll also see my therapist and start back on prozac lol.

Wishing you all the best. I hope this thread has reassured you some, and as a fellow anxiety sufferer I know just how hard it can be to simply relax!

I was nervous when I brought my third hound into my house. Would he have sleep startle, would he not liked to be touched on his face, would he be food aggressive. Carter has none of these but part of my night time ritual is to rub Luka's face when he is on his bed and I touched Carter and he screamed. The room was dark and he was scared by a sudden touch. I no longer touch him in the dark.

WIth a new dog you find out some of these things pretty quick what they will like and don't like.

Greyhounds really pick up on your stress so just take it easy, remember they are adjusting to so many things they have never experienced. It takes time for them to fully open up and relax.

Soon you will wonder how you ever lived without a greyhound. And you might even start thinking about getting a second one!

And one more thing - if Suki ever does growl at you, it is perfectly OK. Please never discourage growling. You want Suki to feel free to express herself when something is bothering her. Don't take it personally. Just back away, yawn, lick your lips, avert your gaze, etc. In our house we actually reward growling.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read your post, and I'm hoping that things are still going well! :)

Try not to live in fear of getting growled or snapped at. It's natural to dive into dog ownership and feel like you want to do everything right. But trust me, you will make a TON of mistakes, and so will your dog. Move past it, and don't take her behavior too personally. One of my boys is very expressive and growls at me every single day! That's just his language and the way he communicates. He's still a really sweet boy, who leaps into my arms when I come through the door and sleeps with his head on my face. He has never bit me or (to my knowledge) plotted to attack and kill me in my sleep. :lol Most aren't "problem dogs" like mine, but even the ones who are are still totally worth it.

I think you just need time to get to know and trust her, after all if you're not used to big dogs it takes a while to adjust to owning one. I'm sure your dog is fine and you will be fine with her too.

Can you try to do some fun activities with her to help you bond? Like nice, relaxing walks out in the countryside , a fun training class or learn about clicker training and practice it at home?

Guest picopaco

Thanks for checking back--I'm happy to report that I am feeling MUCH more comfortable! She's shown zero signs of aggression and is totally sweet. I think the key was going back on antidepressants to be honest haha. I was just too anxious and overthinking everything; imagining the worst. Now, I can relax. It's funny to me now I was imagining her going on the attack. We walk, we play, we snuggle, she follows me everywhere and has even learned "look at me." I recognize that she wants to be loved and to please; she's not plotting against me ;)

I'm so happy for you that you are feeling better. I know exactly how it can be when in a bad anxiety flare, the mind searches for things that could go horribly wrong and gets fixated on it. Very glad things are going smoother for you and your new girl now :)

Guest Scouts_mom

I see that no one has answered your question about playing tug-a-war with a stuffy. If your dog enjoys it, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just remember that greyhounds don't have very strong jaws so tug gently.

I have one grey that loves to play tug-a-war. I let her win about half the time and she dances off with the stuffy, so proud of herself, then brings it back for more. If I win, I toss the stuffy for her to chase. Sometimes she brings it back for more and sometimes she lies down and nibbles on it.

My other grey doesn't like (or understand) the game. Henry is not the brightest dog on the block. He immediately lets go of the stuffy when I touch it and ignores it if I toss it.

Edited by Scouts_mom