Laryngeal Paralysis?

Dr Jennifer, what is your opinion on giving the doxepin now even though he is not in an acute stage? Percy weighs 66 lbs.

If using doxepin for long term use is an issue, at age 11+ I would think he'd only be on it another year or so. Would benefits outweigh any side effects?

He's had a few mild spells of LP this week even though it's been cold out.

Susan, I'll keep that in mind about Lza and Robin - thanks.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Please think twice about performing the surgery. Watching your dog asphyxiate is beyond awful. Of course any surgery has a risk and tie back surgery has it's own post op risks but, .......

The first thing you need to do is have him evaluated--essentially he needs to be lightly sedated and have him visualized as he breathes. Your GP vet can do this as it's a very simple procedure but, they must be equipped to handle an emergency situation if he has trouble recovering (aka-breathing normally in recovery). Because of that risk it may be better to have a referral/University hospital to evaluate him.

Dr Jennifer, what is your opinion on giving the doxepin now even though he is not in an acute stage? Percy weighs 66 lbs.

If using doxepin for long term use is an issue, at age 11+ I would think he'd only be on it another year or so. Would benefits outweigh any side effects?

He's had a few mild spells of LP this week even though it's been cold out.

The time to start doxepin is as soon as a diagnosis is made, before it gets to the acute stage. It's a long term medication with mild effects that won't help in an acute crisis, and it likely only helps if the laryngeal paralysis is partial and not complete. I've used it in a few cases and haven't had any problems, and I don't see many side effects reported by other vets either. Typically recommended starting dose for a large dog is 50 mg twice daily, and it can be increased to 100 mg twice daily.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Thank you for that update! I'll be seeing my vet today with iggy Charlie and will ask her for a Doxepin Rx for Percy.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Percy is now on Doxepin. :)

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest bernadette

This is not true. In the early stages of LP, you often only see signs when they are excited. Hence the recommendations to keep LP dogs calm and cool.

Ducky, is it possible that Percy's breathing issues after his dental were secondary to LP? If so, he wouldn't have the same problems after a tieback surgery. The bleeding would obviously be a concern. Was he treated with Amicar or tranexamic acid, and did he respond to that? Regardless, if his signs are mild, you may not need to consider a tieback, but I'm not sure I'd necessarily rule it out if he gets worse. Did your vet mention starting him on doxepin?

This is what we have seen over the last year or so with Vinnie. Probably beginning stages, per the vet, I will have to bring up doxepin.

Vinnie is quiet when calm, but sounds almost like a duck when he is excited (or sometimes even just walking), it's hard to explain to someone who has never heard it. That, and the coughing and gagging... I have begun with soaked food and non- kibble like treats, I am afraid of him inhaling any crumbs. For the same reason, I am so hesitant to consider the tie-back... he is going on 13 this year, has LS, probably nuclear stenosis (we just built a ramp for him indoors so that he can go down two steps into our living room).

Edited by bernadette