Yowch! Dew Claw Down

Guest CleverJason

Guest CleverJason

Baron broke/bent the dew claw on one of his front legs this weekend so that it was sticking out at a 90-degree angle and bled a little. Fortunately, I keep a half bottle of antibiotics around - Baron's no stranger to nail problems - so I started him on those and bandaged him up the second I noticed blood. I'm debating on whether or not to schedule a vet visit (he just went last week and was in tip-top shape) Typically, they just clip off a damaged nail and put him on antibiotics. Since I'm already half way there, should I clip off the part that's sticking out and keep him bandaged? Anyone else have this happen?

Sweep did something similar last year and we took her to the vet to have the excess cut off since we don't have clippers at home; we dremel her nails. She screamed bloody murder when they clipped it but otherwise was none the worse for wear. They bandaged her up with some Neosporin or similar; we did not have to do antibiotics and she healed quickly. So I say go for it, but wear earplugs. ;)

ETA: Oh, and have styptic powder handy.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest lovnmygreys

Same thing happened to Al. He caught it on a step and it pulled at a weird angle. Made my stomach turn. (I don't do owies) Took him to the vet and they clipped it all the way up. I've never heard him yelp like he did when she clipped it. Ugh. But, after antibiotics and a bandage for awhile, it's growing back nicely!

Guest CleverJason

Thanks for the responses. I clipped off as much as I could and still have him on antibiotics, but he appears to still be pain after a few days. We're going to the vet.