Pooping And Peeing At Same Time? Same Squat?

JAJ2010

I have what's probably the oddest question! This morning I noticed Sunshine pooping while she was having her morning pee. At first I thought she was peeing out lumps and I panicked....

In the last month she has started peeing, finishing, walking a single step, then pooping. Which was odd for her. So now it's morphed into the same time?

Is only outside so she does have some control over her elimination.

She's on tylan powder and we've just rcvd a possible diagnosis of IBD a couple months ago. She's doing great and has finally gained all her weight back.

Poops are firm and she's back to her normal raw diet except for some add ins. She's on a butt ton of probiotics, not sure if that could effect this? Also slippery elm tea once a day.

Do I need to be worried about this? We've worked so closely with our vet in the last 2 months, I'm sure she's tired of returning my phone calls! LOL

------

Jessica

Does it happen repeatedly or only on your first trip out in the a.m., after work, etc? My first thought is maybe she just really has to go poop as well as pee so she does them together.

If that seems unlikely my other thought is whether she might have a urinary tract issue like a UTI that's been overlooked because you've been dealing with the IBD diagnosis. That seems less likely to me.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This morning is the very first time I've noticed.

She went out about an hour ago. Peed then separately pooped in the back of the yard.

Not sure about a uti... There haven't been any accidents in the house. Anything is possible though!

I'll keep an eye on her and not panic yet. She's acting like her normal crazy self. Honestly didn't even think it was possible for them to do both consciously at once.

Last out yesterday was around 10:45pm, first out was at 7:30 this morning. So not a crazy long time.

She did have a big meal for dinner yesterday.

I think I'm most worried about it being a side effect from the Tylan powder. She's been on that for about 6-7 weeks now.

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

Yeah, but something from the supplements or dietary changes could be causing her a greater urgency to poop or a need to poop with increased frequency. It's certainly possible to do both at the same time. If it's not happening many times throughout the day, but seems to coincide with when she'd have normally have a bowel movement that would be my guess.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Well I'm no expert, have never encountered this before, just making my best guess. So take what I say with a grain of salt basically. ;) But I personally wouldn't be alarmed unless it started happening a lot, in the house, stool consistency becomes poor, etc.

Edited by NeylasMom

I'm now convinced of a uti! After dinner, she peed, then pooped, then tried to pee again and only a few drops came out. No reason for her to squat a third time, unless there is discomfort.

Maybe the extended bland diet and crazy supplements somehow caused a bit of a urine pH shift. My poor little piggy just can't catch a break! Antibiotics and maybe I'll research a cranberry supplement.

------

Jessica

Well get her tested so you know for sure. Vetri-science makes 2 supplements for UT health that I really like. One, I think it's called UT Stat or UT Strength Stat is only for shorter term use and is stronger/more expensive. Them other is a daily supplement in chewable form. If she's positive for an infection and you want something long term to support her UT health I would do the daily chewable. If he urinalysis and/or culture is clean, you could do a "course" of the stronger one to see if that helps. I will see if I can find links so you know what I'm talking about. :P

And of course talk to your vet about all of this. ;)

Of course! I'm pretty sure our vet has my cell memorized by now. The IBD incident was scary. Thought we were going to lose her.

Thanks! I'll look into those supplements. Rainy was on that brand for her incontinence for a bit until it stopped working. I remember seeing the stuff for urinary health.

------

Jessica

Here they are. UT Strength Everyday is the daily:

Vetri-Science UT Strength Everyday Canine, 60 Bite-Sized Chews https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BSWKXQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_uUrswb004HPPD

And this is the heavy duty one:

Vetri-Science UT Strength STAT for Dogs, 90 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BXSRJM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_GVrswbXRYQVCZ