Odd Peeing Behavior

Guest Johnpilot

Guest Johnpilot

Hello;

I brought home my adopted racer two weeks ago. He is my third after haing lost my previous two earlier in the year. He has settled in very well, but during the first week there were some issues with the dog door. While I was waiting to get a new larger one installed, I made sure that I was walking him twice a day (before work and before bedtime) to avoid any accidents. Good news is he loves his walks and pees and poops without issue ONLY DURING THE WALK... He is using the dog door (I have wireless security cameras and can watch him during the day) many times during the day without issue, but he will not pee or poop in the yard. I come home and check for poop messes and nothing. I try walking him in the yard and nothing. I have even put down pee pads in the corner of the yard and put some stakes next to them and nothing. He sniffs the pee pads and walks away. As soon as we hit the gate on the leash he pulls to the first bush and pees for 30 seconds he has to go so bad. Later on the walk he poops. this happens twice a day every day without fail.

I am so beside myself as I don't want him to physcially damage himself holding it in case I get held up at work. I also don't want to get up at 5:00AM for the rest of my life to walk him when there is a perfectly good dog door and large grassy yard. Any thoughts and ideas would be great. My previous two learned the door in a couple of hours and couldn't wait to go out...

John

Leash walk him in the yard until he gets the idea.

I don't think it's possible to "physically damage himself." When he has to pee badly enough, he'll go. Maybe outside, maybe not!

Be patient. He'll figure it out!

Susan (who has been getting up at 5 AM for about 17 years now!)

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'd not take him for the walk, like suggested walk him in the yard, then praise him like all get out when he does go.

Mine goes in the yard THEN goes for a walk at 6am. He will poop in the yard too but gets super excited when he does as he knows he did good..LOL

We have a dog door too, once he knew to go in the yard, it wasn't an issue. Also when he does go for a walk and pee's get the scent on a cloth and put that in your yard where you want him to go.

Am I the only one around whose greys won't get up before 9 am? If I suggested a walk before this time I had to go alone or turn the beds over for them to roll out.

Walking your dog in the yard should do the trick. He will get the idea. But I also know a dog or two which never pee or poop in their on yard. Sometimes they are just strange fellows.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Congratulations on your new adoption! So sorry you lost both of your previous hounds this year.

If leash walking him in your yard doesn't help, try to arrange for a previously adopted, healthy, fellow Greyhound to come over for a yard visit. (Ensure the visiting hound has had a recent clear fecal test.) Since racers are accustomed to group kennel yard eliminations, he will probably come around soon. Otherwise, try capturing his urine in a large container (or use a long handled ladle to pour it into a container), then pour around the preferred elimination area in your yard. If your yard has chemicals or fertilizers, he might dislike the scent or feel paw pad burning/discomfort. (It's possible the pee pad, etc. might be confusing him too.)

Good luck.