Vomiting Up Dark Liquid

charbess

I am in contact with my former foster's new family and they messaged me today saying that the dog vomited up dark liquid at 4:30 a.m. There was no food in it and it smelled like, well, vomit. The dog has been off her food all day today but willingly takes treats and her behavior is her normal, lovable self after initially being listless. When I heard "dark" I immediately thought blood but could it be bile? Or, rabbit poop? She is fond of that :flip and they know enough to keep the yard as clean as possible.

She has not vomited any more after the 4:30 am episode. The little bit of food she has eaten has been done slowly, chewing every piece of kibble which if not like the normal inhalation method of eating. It is like she is going through the motions. I recommended a visit to the vet first thing in a.m. with a sample of the vomit which luckily they do have.

Any thing else come to mind?

Could she have eaten her own poop? That would come back dark, and would possibly give her an upset stomach. But poop-based vomit often smells as much like poop as like vomit.

Don't ask me how I know.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Could she have eaten her own poop? That would come back dark, and would possibly give her an upset stomach. But poop-based vomit often smells as much like poop as like vomit.

Don't ask me how I know.

:nod This was my first thought also. Don't ask me how I know either :lol Edited by Roo

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Don't ask me how I know.

Hmmmm....ok, I won't ask.

:nod This was my first thought also. Don't ask me how I know either :lol

Your secret is safe...I won't ask. Thanks for the response, though!

Yeah. If she's been eating poop the bile would be dark colored. And smell extremely bad. She needs to be wearing a muzle with a stool guard when outside, if that's the case. Eating that much poop isn't good for her, and it could also transmit parasites aand other bad things.

But if that's not what's going on then she needs to go to the vet.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agreed on a poop eater. Interesting club we got here huh? lol Hopefully pup feels better soon. However, any blood in there or anything is a real sign on concern. Hopefully pup is drinking and eating otherwise normally?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Owners took her to the vet first thing Monday morning and of course, nothing definitive was found, her temp was normal but they gave her subcutaneous fluids to combat the lack of drinking and the vomiting, an injection of Cerenia for nausea (she hasn't been eating since the vomiting episode) and Famotitine to sooth the esophagus that may be irritated. One of them is usually out in the yard with her and they keep the yard clean so she definitely isn't getting to her own leftover poop. Today (Tuesday) they reported she is eating again, no problem. Scary but hopefully "just one of those things."

Agreed on a poop eater. Interesting club we got here huh? lol Hopefully pup feels better soon. However, any blood in there or anything is a real sign on concern. Hopefully pup is drinking and eating otherwise normally?