Urinating On Our Bed - Tips?

Guest Cutedogname

Guest Cutedogname

Thankyou for your previous advice about our new adopted hound. We are first-time adopters, and our dog is 3 and a former racer. She has been with us for two weeks and she has begun to urinate and defecate in our apartment. In particular she has a pattern of behaviour that I need some advice about. She sleeps on her own bed in our bedroom without any trouble. In the morning, she wakes up at the same time as us (6.30 but we would like it to be later) and is always very excited to see us every day. This is what happens every time there's a 'mistake': my partner gets out of bed and goes to the bathroom and gets dressed to take her for a walk. Either I get out of bed and she jumps on the bed and urinates, or while my partner is using the bathroom, she urinates in the loungeroom. It is always when we have just turned our back so we can't reprimand her. It's like she has a small obsession about doing this.

We live in an apartment so need to get dressed and use the toilet before we take her out for a walk, so cannot do the routine any faster (i.e. get up, use toilet, get quickly dressed, walk her outside).

I understand that she is not housebroken, but she is now defecating and urinating when she wasn't before. We are doing our best with a routine. She was desexed prior to joining us, and is licking and scratching her genital area and hind legs quite a bit, but I don't really think this is medical but will take advice.

I also need advice on cleaning - we are just washing the sheets, blankets and duvet in the washing machine but is it possible that this is still leaving urine residue? If there are specific products you recommend, we are in Australia so this needs to be considered.

I think you should consider a medical issue. It's not normal for a dog to lick and scratch her genital area a lot. I know if my dog started doing this, even without P&Ping in the house, I'd be on the phone to my vet and I'm not one who automatically thinks the worst about things so don't immediately think "Call vet."

Edited by Feisty49

I do think you should see a vet to rule out a UTI or possible spay incontinence. In the meantime, you and your partner will need to work together - as soon as you wake up, collar and leash the dog. One of you will just need to hold her close by while the other is getting dressed.

Also, what time is her last out the previous night? I had a foster that would, without fail, urinate or defecate in her crate in the middle of the night unless she had a late, brisk walk. So if your pup has got to go so badly in the morning that she can't hold it, maybe try a later walk (and make it a brisk one, too).

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Cutedogname

Thanks so much both. We will take her to the vet and we also have a new routine that follows your advice to hold her or amuse her whilst the other is getting dressed. We usually walk her at 10.30pm and then she is awake at about 6.30. I don't mind this too much, but she is also starting to wake us up even earlier (last night it was 4am after a 10.30 walk) so we just don't want to push it too much earlier because, basically, we have to walk her in public and can't walk around in what we wear to bed (not much!!).

Yeah, definitely vet check - assuming she's emptying out before bedtime, she really should be able to hold it until 6:30, easily (mine will often refuse to go out after dinner and then want breakfast before going potty, so they'll hold it upwards of 12 hours!).

Is she waking up at 4:00 am because she needs to go out, or she's suddenly bored and wants breakfast/play? My younger dog is still on track time after being with us for about 9 months already - we get up at 4:45 anyway, but sometimes he wakes up at 4 and wants to have a party. :lol

Good luck!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Cutedogname

Update! She does not have a medical condition which indicates to us that it's behavioural. She is still waking up around 4ish and then 6.30 and is also still urinating in the bedroom. I wonder if it's just that I can't get the smell out of the duvet? Any help would be appreciated. We have been a bit successful holding her off from weeing first thing but it seems that any time she slips into the bedroom unnoticed she has a wee in there (we normally keep the door closed but forgot tonight for 10 minutes).

Also still wondering what tips anyone has for removing urine smell from bed linen.

Iker did that a few times. Turned out he had a hard to diagnose UTI. I poured an entire container of Nature's Miracle on my mattress, then added about half a container to the laundry when I washed the sheets.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My non-expert suggestion is to leash her to you immediately at soon as you get us and keep her on the leash until she gets outside. Once outside, the very second she does her business, either pee or poop whichever she does first, reward or praise the heck out of her.

UTI's can be hard to diagnose also.

For smell, I soak in white vinegar and wash and then wash with Nature's Miracle, or whatever product of that ilk that's available to you. And then sometimes I wash again. You can also look into renting a machine and steam cleaning your mattress.

Good luck. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

• 2 weeks later...

I don't go to the bathroom before I walk my dog in the AM. I don't dare, as my last dog never did quite master the "holding it" thing!

I keep my "dog walking clothes" on the back of my bedroom door. I get up earlier than I normally would. I rip off the PJs, slip on my dog clothes, and am out the door in under 5 minutes.

I probably don't even need to any more, cause my current boy has a bladder of steel thank goodness, but you'd be suprised how fast you can move to prevent pee in the house (I also live in an apt. and do have to wear clothing outside!).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck