Shaky Legs

Guest Cardiffcouple

Guest Cardiffcouple

Hi everyone. Mercy and Rocky are starting to have shaky legs when they get up from a prone position. For a few months now we have been giving them Hylasport Canine PupSup supplement. I don't see any changes. Does anyone use this product? Any results? Am I not giving it enough time? Rocky just turned 9 and Mercy will be 10 in May. They both run around like goofy dogs and when moving don't display any signs of discomfort. They just have a hard time getting up. I really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Sounds like old and a bit of arthritis is creeping into their bones and it is common to "struggle" when getting up from a laying position. I'm not familiar with the supplement you are suggesting. What I started Kasey on when he started to have these issues was a combination of FreshFactors and JointHealth from Springtime which really helped for a couple of years. Chewable and palatable but as with anything, likely the same as the supplement you are feeding, it takes weeks to a couple months to see results. With that said FF and JH seemed to work rather quickly for Kasey. Good luck!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

You are in the UK I take it? There are lots of different supplements available for arthritis, though I haven't heard of that particular one. Doc takes on one called Stride - as recommended by our vet, who had used it for his own old dog - and it does seem to help though by now at 13 and a half he is rather a wobbly old boy. If your current one isn't helping by now I would definitely try something different - with the Stride the vet advised me it would take 3-4 weeks to take full effect, though I could see it beginning to help before that. Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.vetuk.co.uk/joint-supplement-powders-stride-powder-c-5_4_2004_2013/stride-glucosamine-chondroitin-msm-500g-powder-p-2579

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Doodles was having the same thing, she was 11 at the time. I had her on a joint supplement, Agility from Life's Abundance. I asked some people in the racing industry what they give and they recommended Next Level, so I tried it. Holy cow, she was like a new dog after a few weeks of using it, running around, playing and punching on toys again, no shaky legs at all from getting up anymore.

She's 12 now, lived through a very scary and paralyzing (to her back legs) FCE from which she pulled through with flying colors. I still have her on the Next Level and she's still not shaky when getting up from laying down. I'm a real believer in the product and a lot of people in our group are using it now, too, with equal good results.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014