Grey Doesn't Want To Come Inside

Guest Muscovy

Guest Muscovy

Hi again folks,

We adopted a 3yo ex racer 6 months ago. He's been settling in really well, but a few weeks ago he started with this sort of strange behaviour - when he goes out, he doesn't really want to come back in again.

This is especially the case in the evenings and night time. He'll just sit on his outside bed, or in the kennel, or even dig himself a hole to sit in out in one of the raised beds in the front sun room, and lie down there. He just flat out refuses to come inside. Sometimes we manage to coax him back inside, but about half the time he just wants to go out again.

It seems really weird to me, and it worries me. Today is the first cold day of autumn for the year and I want him to be snuggled up on a warm couch, not sitting outside in the cold.

I can't think of anything specific that happened or changed 3 weeks ago when this behaviour started. I just don't get it. Can anyone shed some light?

Cheers :)

He might be at a more comfortable temperature when he's outside. a lot of dogs love to just sit out there and watch over their domain. And now as you can tell, the terminology of they come into their own personality in a few months to about a year is starting to come true ;) To be fair, a lot of greys just go beserk when there is cooler weather.....they really enjoy it :) Mine have more spunk on our walks when it's cooler out.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My guy loves to just stand outside once the weather starts warming up and he doesn't want to come in. You might want to clicker or squeaker train him to come to you for a treat. find it works for me.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest Muscovy

Thanks folks :)

If he's just happy being outside, then I'd be happy to let him stay outside when he wants to. I was just worried that he was going out there because he's scared of our girl dog/doesn't like the noise or lights of the TV/doesn't feel comfortable being inside for whatever reason.

I would rather spend time with him inside but if he's just enjoying the weather then I'm happy for him to be out there. I just want him to feel comfortable wherever he is, you know? Not feeling like he doesn't belong inside or whatever.

Thanks.

Our spooky girl buffy sometimes likes to sit at the end of our bedroom hallway, instead of in the living room with us. I think she just likes to be on her own sometimes.

Is he anxious about coming back inside? Does he approach and then skitter away? Does he fold his ears flat and tuck his tail if you try to lead him in? Does he have a firm recall that he responds to even if he's outside?

If he still comes inside eagerly but prefers to be outside right now, that's one thing, but I think if he is anxious about coming into the house, you can definitely work on that.

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

Guest Muscovy

He is anxious about coming inside. Today I have figured out why. He's scared of the washing machine.

I have no idea how to train for this, or if it's going to be a lifestyle adjustment thing. I will start a new thread.