Introducing A New Routine

Guest kisstherain

Guest kisstherain

Hi everyone! I know greyhounds get used to routines, and since I adopted my girl (a little over a month ago) I'm usually home all day so she is used to me being around a lot. I have done alone training, and I noticed that she whines/barks loudly when I leave but when I get back she is in her little corner.

I have left her for up to four hours at a time. My question is I will be moving as well as starting a full time job soon and will be away for probably more than eight hours. It will be a new environment and I won't be around all day. I am afraid she won't take this very well. Any suggestions on how to adjust her? Any ideas to keep her occupied? She has no interest in kong toys stuffed with treats. She likes bones but that might get expensive to give her one every day...I'm worried she might get severe separation anxiety from the sudden change in routine.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Also, for those of you who are away from home for long periods of time could you share your routines?

Edited by kisstherain

Day care is a great resource to use if she gets along well with other dogs. You might also look into hiring a dog walker in your new area after you move. How close together are the move and full time job starting?

A tired dog is a happy/quiet dog. When you first go off to work full time, try to spend an hour walking your girl just before you leave. She will be empty and tired. Find a treat that she loves (hot dogs, lunch meat, rotisserie chicken) that you can add to her kong. Set up a usual "good bye" routine now that you do every time you go, no matter how long it's for.

And definitely read the alone training book "I'll Be Home Soon" and follow it religiously.

I hope you both adjust well to the new schedule! :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest kisstherain

I will probably move in a week before my full time job starts. I am moving to LA and I know the traffic will be really bad, so I will be out really long. I am thinking about a dog walker or a daycare. What I am mostly worried about is that she will whine/bark which will annoy my neighbors..

Edited by kisstherain

You may want to let your neighbors know in advance that you've adopted a dog and you're not sure how she'll do alone all day. Provide your cell number so that they can call you, rather than the apartment manager. I added a photo to my note as well. Everyone was great as Grace adjusted to life in an apartment. Having that week before you start your job is great. Good luck! Remember, exercise exercise exercise!

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest kisstherain

Thanks!! My adoption group coordinator suggested a citronella bark collar. I was wondering if hiring a dog walker needs to be long term since I will be out so long, or would it be possible to wean her off as someone mentioned above?

I would re-do the alone training once you are in your new space (when our dogs were new to us, we even did alone training when we would visit family for a few days, so that they knew we would also come back in *this* house too)

And a dog-walker for mid-day would be super!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

I would say start with a dog walker and see how she does. We've never had one and are gone about 8-9 hours a day, but sometimes my husband goes home at lunch. There are times when Jake doesn't want to move and could not be persuaded to walk at such an ungodly hour as noon.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com