How Many Words Does Your Grey Know?

Guest IrskasMom

Before we go to the Park , I always say : " Mama has to Peepee " . Morty runs to the Bathroom before me. He knows : " this way , Treat , wait , DinDin ( Dinner ) , Peepee time, hop in .He knows all his Friends Name like Penny, Daisy, Booboos , Buddy , Jake and DenDen and Toby . If I say their Name he looks for them.

Guest AimeeBee

I know he hears these and is totally capable of following them --- whether or not he decides to .... :dunno

His name

Excuse me (move over)

"Up" (into the car)

Treat

Wait (mostly)

Ok

Outside/Out

Dinner

Walk

No/ah-ah

"Time for bed" (go upstairs at night)

Edited by AimeeBee

Each of my girls know their names of course, and they know each other's names. They also know Mommy and Daddy. Other words include:

no/ah-ah

wait- great for getting out of the car or in the rare event of a dropped leash

OK ( their release phrase)

treat

Milk Bone

bedtime treat

do you want....

ready

walk

car

on your bed

bye, we'll be back soon

dinner, brekkie

bunny, do you see the bunny?

car

on the deck (for going outside on our fenced in deck)

Breezy up or Beka up( for jumping into the car or going up the stairs)

upstairs/downstairs

go potty

sit

down (meaning to lay down)

all gone (referring to treats and showing them empty hands)

Beka also knows ball , where's your ball, get your ball, bring your ball. She will search all over the house for it!

They also know the "treat spot" in the kitchen and will come running if I call their names when I am standing there. Beka also knows the sound of the freezer drawer opening and that it might mean her favorite treat- frozen green beans.

I know there are probably lots more, that's what I can think of for now.

Edited by Potomacpupsmom

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Our Greyhounds understand too many words to list. We resorted to spelling key words during human conversations, but they eventually learned their names, w-a-l-k, p-a-r-k, etc. Hand signals work well when we need to communicate with only one hound while others are sleeping; otherwise, the whole pack responds. Heck, our hounds seem to read our unspoken thoughts, particularly if food, a walk or car ride is involved! :wub:

Treat, down, wait, ok walk, target, daddy, Trey, Eden, Mama, walk, paw, outside, "do your job", upstairs, rawhide, "your rawhide is upstairs", hound food, hound water, kennel up, go lay down, ear work, .......I'm sure there's more....

Barbie knows so many.... anything associated with going for a walk for instance ... she knows the word 'go' and 'walk' and 'wander' and 'w-a-l-k' and I think she also knows 'when do you want to...' we find ourselves saying 'is it time to do a lap' or shall we perambulate around the neighbourhood ? it's good exercise for vocab!