Hair Discussion

Guest Wasabi303

Guest Wasabi303

Wasabi has got some weird hair patterns going on lately. Her belly and butt cheeks are almost completely naked and she has recently started loosing hair on her neck under her collar. Since I noticed I have been taking off her collar whenever she is inside and it seems to be helping. Her belly and butt have been bare since I got her 4 months ago.

First ?: Is this normal? Do you all's hounds rub really easily?

Second ?: How long will it take to grow back, if it every will?

Third ?: Recommendations for collars that are super soft/won't rub? ( I am almost certain that it is fitted correctly )

Thanks!

Totally normal. Some people grow the hair back with melatonin, and some of us embrace baldness. My feeling is that if the skin itself looks ok, it isn't bothering the hound, and I can leave it alone. That said, fleece/silk/velvet lined collars are nice, as are the braided bolo collars from Longdog Leather. I strongly believe in keeping a tag collar on at all times.

Guest Johberry

Our boy came to us with a bald butt and thighs as well as a bald belly and neck. The hair on his thighs are growing back and I haven't given any melatonin. I too either use a fleece-lined or satin-lined martingale but because his neck area is super sensitive, he's naked at home. Looking into getting a soft leather martingale and a leather tag collar. I brush our hound every other day which has been encouraging new hair growth as it gets rid of dead hair and flakes. I too used to be concerned especially since he has pink skin so I'm beginning to think it's normal.

It's totally normal (and brushing will not encourage new growth--it will simply pull out any dead hair, but it WILL give your dog a nice smooth coat). Most people believe it's genetic. My new dog is very bald, and if you look on Greyhound Data, his sire is as well. He had a half sister at the same adoption kennel, and she was also very bald.

Adding omega fatty acids to the diet may help some.

George DID grow fur on his neck and chest after I adopted him--I do not anticipate that Buck will.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck