Fur Thinning On Neck. Should I Be Worried?

Guest CleverJason

Guest CleverJason

The fur on the bottom of Baron's neck is starting to thin around the collar line. It doesn't appear to bother him, as he isn't sensitive or itchy in that area. He's 5 years old and seems perfectly healthy otherwise. I've already switched to a different collar, but I don't think it's making a difference. Is this anything to worry about?

Guest Lygracilux

I dont think you should worry. My boy is only two and has no fur at all on the front of his neck in the collar area. And it had some chaffing I've been treating with coconut oil. We believe its cause he pulls in the collar, and wasnt taught to not pull on the track. So we only use the collar for quick bathroom breaks. We switched to a harness for walkies.

Mine wears a collar once a week or so, for therapy dog visits. The rest of the time, she's naked. And the front of her throat is bare. So I don't think it's always collar rub but even so, I don't worry about it.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance