Dangers Of Chewing On Bark?

Guest normaandburrell

Guest normaandburrell

My grey loves to chew on bark. He started with the large clumps of cypress mulch and now has found our firewood stack. He chews up small sticks, and chews the bark off larger ones. In the process he ingests some of the bark and maybe some of the softer wood. I hate to stop him, since he is having so much fun, but I usually limit him to doing it for just a little while. Has anyone had any problems letting their dog chew on sticks?

Good question.

There are several reasons to not allow dogs to chew on wood bark, mulch, sticks, firewood, etc.

Dogs can get serious intestinal punctures and/or blockages from ingesting wood pieces.

Wood (including bark/mulch) splinters a lot. Can cause mouth/gum and/or other internal injuries.

Many types of plants and trees are toxic to dogs.

Safer alternative is to provide dog safe chew toys. :)

Guest normaandburrell

I think you're right. He threw up some small pieces of bark this morning, then tried to eat them again before I could clean it up. Maybe I'll take him to Petsmart and let him pick out a chew toy. He has two kongs but only pays attention to them when they are stuffed with treats. I know my other grey would tear apart rawhide chew sticks and swallow large pieces. Any suggestions for good chew toys?

Some of the plastic Nylabones have a flavor and they have been indestructible here. My kids like the ones with nubby bumps on them.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If your hounds aren't interested in Kong products (unless filled), very safe choices are limited. We get hard "Durachew" (by Nylabone) in bacon flavor, "souper" size. Our hounds favorite style looks like a fist. They last a long time, and if sized properly, dogs don't ingest large pieces. Take it away if it begins to wear down too much. There is always a risk of dogs chipping a tooth on any hard toy. Some dogs just really need to chew something. If a hound isn't interested in a Durachew immediately, smear peanut butter on it so the dog learns it's his/hers to enjoy.

(I don't recommend their soft, gummy, or edible chews because large chunks can break off and be ingested. I do not recommend antlers because they are extremely hard on teeth.)

Guest normaandburrell

Thanks for the advice. I will look for the treats you all suggested. We have had this hound for only 3 months, he is still fairly young, and he has suddenly started to chew on all kinds of objects, including sponges, toilet paper rolls, you name it. So far no really destructive behavior, but we want to get it in hand quickly.