Won't Lay Down Again - Soft Tissue Re-Emergence?

Betty (11 year old Grey) seems to have some soft tissue problems on her front legs. We went through a day a few months ago where she was limping pretty bad and wouldn't lay down for a full day. A lot of that day I think she was also a little messed up from the drugs used to get X-Rays on her shoulder.

We went on a heavy gabapentin-tramadol-rimadyl cocktail at the time and the problem went away with a small flare-up a little bit later. For most of the last couple of months, Betty's just had 100mg Gabapentin every 12 hours.

On our walk this morning, she got VERY excited about a cat and was stomping and barking and such, very rapidly and aggressively. This was on dirt and grass, but I was worried she might flare the injury back up.

And it seems like she has as she's back to walking around between beds and not laying down, or only for a minute or two if she does.

I've given her the other pain meds (Rimadyl, Tramadol, an extra dose of Gabapentin). Is there anything else I can do? It seems like that's been the solution from both the e-vet and our normal vet and I'm unsure about going to either of them if we don't have to.

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

Betty "Beauty" Joan. 63B-21375. June 2003 - March 2015. Thank you pretty girl!

And now she's finally been lying down on her own for 15-20 minutes. Of course, that happens right AFTER I call my vet to see if he has any advice. Ugh. I knew when she went bonkers over seeing and getting close to that kitty that it would come back to haunt us.

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

glad to hear she's feeling better!

Since you seem to instinctively know what might cause a flair-up, you could consider some cool compresses (wet microfiber in a baggie, refrigerated for an hour) might cool down strained muscles. Otherwise, it sounds like you've got the best protocols in place.

Made it through the night without any little yelps of pain. She still seems a little stiff, but able to stretch this morning (last night she'd try to do the play-bow style front stretch and immediately stop). So, seems on the right track!

She's been checked for neck pain but didn't show much when checked, as compared to her shoulder/elbow area. We're still not entirely sure what's going on, as X-rays show wear and tear in the front left shoulder but front right looks fine. But my vet found that she seemed more sensitive in the joint on her front right, which was just outside of where the e-vet got the x-rays.

I just have to stop encouraging her to get so excited over cats, but it's so funny! But yesterday a cat was just laying in someone's front yard so Betty seemed to go much more crazy than her usual "I see a kitty on a porch" excitement.

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

How is she doing today?

For neck/back things, I try to keep them quiet (or at least, keep them from going nutso) for @ 3 weeks after they last show symptoms. Not always easy with a playful dog, but has seemed to help.

Scritchies to your lovely girl :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.