Guest june

This is long and I apologize but here I go.

First, I've had dogs all my life and greys for almost 11 years and have never had a problem with worms. Both dogs had negative fecal's less than a year ago.

I noticed Nova had mucusy feces so I took in a sample. She was diagnosed with hookworms. She was give 2 doses of Strongid T. and I was told to bring in another sample in a couple weeks. I took in another sample and she still had them so she then got Drontal Plus and I decided to collect a sample from Rona; Rona has whip worms and so she was given the same thing. Two weeks later and another fecal and they both are still positive! This time they each got Panacure C. They got the first dose tonight and will get two more tomorrow and Sunday and I'm supposed to bring in another sample in two weeks. I'm hoping this will get rid of the little suckers.

I'm good about keeping the yard clean daily; they are on grass. After Nova was diagnosed I started picking up 2x daily. After the second positive test I started following them and picking up as soon as they poop and also using baby wipes to clean them when they come in. I'm also getting ready to wash all dog bed covers and furniture covers in hot water with bleach.

I want to do something about my yard but I'm not sure what is safe for the dogs or the grass. I did a search and I've read posts about treating hookworms and whip worms that I found on here. Someone suggested spraying bleach solution to where the poop was picked up but doesn't say if it should be diluted or what percentage. Currently the bleach I have is triple strength. Also someone suggested borax spread on the yard. I found a website that gives instructions for how much to spread, but I'm a bit worried as it doesn't say if it is safe for grass. Is borax safe for the dogs? Is it safe for the grass?

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated! Again, sorry this is so long.

Guest johnwe

I've heard that lime can help. Just be sure to use the correct amount as it can burn your grass if you overdo it. Might be good to apply it after you water the lawn or when rain is expected.

I've heard that lime can help. Just be sure to use the correct amount as it can burn your grass if you overdo it. Might be good to apply it after you water the lawn or when rain is expected.

Will the lime hurt the dogs? I can walk my dogs for a few days, but they are going to want back in their yard and I don't want to use anything that will hurt them.

Sometimes it just takes two or three or even four rounds of treatment to get those little buggers. It may not be that they are re-infecting themselves, just that they are not getting cleared in the first place.

I've always heard that once you have hooks in your yard they are pretty much always there. :dunno

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have been going through this with Cozett..this is her fourth treatment for hooks. I did some reading on the yard /grass situation. What I have been doing: pick up immediately. Clean grass as best as I can and then pour 50% bleach / water combination on the area. Bleach does not hurt the lawn, but ,from what I read, kills the worms, eggs, etc. good luck!

We have several hounds in our group including one of my own where we are having problems with the hook worms. there are different med regimens occurring between all of us. Mine are not in grass, a non-grass run and cement patio so I'm cleaning with bleach as much as I have time.

My question, has anyone found a cure that has worked in the past year for the buggers?