Line Out

Guest snowpuppy

Guest snowpuppy

GEDC0865-300x184.jpg

Today we're starting our line out training. Its super important because it keeps the dogs from getting tangled when we run, and well...before we run. I was surprised that Audie and Wonder Woman didn't know it...but we learn and move forward.

Above is 4/6 members of our team. Audie, our guy whose got the grey face is in red. Furthest back is Batman, and in the middle is Basilone.

Miss Moon is telling the pups and Audie about how great it is. 1:1 time with mom, treats, lots of pettings...not likely for a run today as its way too warm here.

Hope everyone has a great day. Just thought I'd share

Guest snowpuppy

The pictures from this batch ended up with "help" ie...a smudge in the middle of the lens...as a kidlet touched it about 45 seconds into the beginning of our training and the go-pro died about 2 minutes into things. Missed getting some pictures of Audie. The training itself is boring as all heck to watch. Hubby was all excited to watch yesterday and was left with a...oh...that's it sort of feeling when he realized that it was just a repetitious training. I do updates regularly on the team blog and facebook, as our goal is to make it to a few mid distance races this year. Not sure if its okay to share those links here, and don't want to break any rules so here's a couple of our blurry pics from things.

The booties aren't really necessary for line out training. They are necessary so that when harnesses get put on in the fall and in the winter our guys aren't freaking out because of something new and unfamiliar. The first picture below is of Wonder Woman. She came home with us at the same time Audie did. She's quiet and graceful. 2nd Picture is our Moonblaze (Miss Moon). Biggest goal for her is to stop the ZOMG WE'RE GOING FOR A RUN screaming excitement because of the energy it wastes, and of course there's the neighbors who certainly don't appreciate the way her excitement sounds like we are ripping her toenails out.

GOPR0910-1024x768.jpg

GOPR0894.jpg

Dryland mushing!! It's such a blast. Looks like you've got the right pups for it. How long does it take for a solid line out?

We only did dog scootering. I remember training Stellaluna to line out, (She was part Greyhound & all sighthound so I proclaim this on topic. ;) ) It was actually surprising how easily she caught on to that, though I doubt it was solid enough to hold up in a team. Initially I was afraid she wouldn't run with the scooter but all it took was watching a couple other teams take off & she was ready to follow. We had a blast. It was a bit of a white knucke experience the time the deer ran across the trail. I just kept alternating between "On by!" and "Leave it!" & said a prayer she didn't try to dash through the woods dragging the scooter behind her. She didn't but that probably had more to do with her being so surprised by it. Boy did she remember that spot on the trail when we came back. :lol It was great though.

After losing her I tried again with one of my Greyhounds and a lurcher. The lurcher was a natural & my Grey, Su, went right along with her. It was shocking how fast my little Su can trot. The other team would be running a steady pace as would my girl Kira but the whole time Su was still in a ground eating trot. Life changes though & we don't go any more. It's a shame for the dogs.

Have fun! Please share more picks & info on training when you can. I think many Greys would enjoy dog scootering, bikejoring & skijoring is introduced carefully.

Guest snowpuppy

Uhm, where's the Greyhound??

Audie is our Alaskan who we're fairly certain based on build and facial features has some grey in him. Alaskans are more or less glorified racing mutts. With our first Siberian we were in way over our head until we were educated. With the two Alaskans we have some mentors for general Alaskan differences, and have sought out a couple of groups to get a heads up on some of the more prominent breeds that seem to show through. I mentioned in my original post that the camera battery died, which is why there aren't pics of him lining out.

Dryland mushing!! It's such a blast. Looks like you've got the right pups for it. How long does it take for a solid line out?

We only did dog scootering. I remember training Stellaluna to line out, (She was part Greyhound & all sighthound so I proclaim this on topic. ;) ) It was actually surprising how easily she caught on to that, though I doubt it was solid enough to hold up in a team. Initially I was afraid she wouldn't run with the scooter but all it took was watching a couple other teams take off & she was ready to follow. We had a blast. It was a bit of a white knucke experience the time the deer ran across the trail. I just kept alternating between "On by!" and "Leave it!" & said a prayer she didn't try to dash through the woods dragging the scooter behind her. She didn't but that probably had more to do with her being so surprised by it. Boy did she remember that spot on the trail when we came back. :lol It was great though.

After losing her I tried again with one of my Greyhounds and a lurcher. The lurcher was a natural & my Grey, Su, went right along with her. It was shocking how fast my little Su can trot. The other team would be running a steady pace as would my girl Kira but the whole time Su was still in a ground eating trot. Life changes though & we don't go any more. It's a shame for the dogs.

Have fun! Please share more picks & info on training when you can. I think many Greys would enjoy dog scootering, bikejoring & skijoring is introduced carefully.

It depends on the dog for how long it takes, and the number of dogs your going to be taking. I lost my lead earlier this year. She was an amazing rescue girl who went from living tied to a tree and afraid of everything to an amazing leader who I trusted with my life and those of my children when we went out in the winter. Maturity is a big thing...the hope is that by this fall, with consistent training the team will line out and we'll have fewer tangles. Its a big deal to not have your team tangle up if you ever want to go on your own. If it were just 2 dogs I'd maybe focus a bit less on it, but as 6 dogs has the potential to be a horrid tangle mess...eh better safe than sorry.

The biggest challenge for newer folks is not realizing that you need to make sure that YOU are controlling the speed. You certainly don't want them be it greyhounds, sibes, pointers or any other breed of dog running as hard and fast as it can right off the reel. Dog powered sports are a great way for you to bond with your dog. I agree that careful introduction is needed. If there's a specific interest I can do a basic overview and then get into the specifics in more detail. Its all pretty simple in theory, just the practice, praise and repetition that takes time.