Any Ides On What Could Be Wrong

Guest kar

Snow was doing well for a while and now again has started to lay down on walks. She does have kidney disease but just had blood work and an ultrasound one month ago and all was well. I know yesterday morning was a little humid and thought maybe that was why she wanted to lie down. But she did the same thing this morning and it was not humid in fact it was rather nice. Does anyone have any ideas on what else could be wrong?

I'd check with the vet on the whole exercise issue in a dog with a known disease like kidney failure.

Failing kidneys can make them feel really, really ill, and I wouldn't be surprised if an affected dog didn't want to walk much, especially in hot weather. Depending on the type of kidney disease, there may be a problem concentrating the urine, which would mean that they'd get dehydrated quicker in hot weather, too. It's good to exercise with kidney disease, but you might just need to check how much your vet thinks your dog can handle, especially in the heat.

Another thing to consider, if she's an elderly dog, is that she may be developing cardiac disease, too.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

There are too many possibilities to list but included would be an unexpected decline in her kidney function, heart problem, skeletomuscular pain or a behavioral issue. It seems like a recheck at the vet might be in order. Hope it's something minor & transient.

she has pln. kidney blood work is fine but urine protein/creatine ratio is 1.2. I have checked her gums as I lost an 8 month old grey to heart disease. gums are fine. she is 7 1/2 years old. was initially depressed when I lost my other grey and another walking partner two months ago but seemed to get better. That is why I redid all blood work and had an ultrasound done. Vet checked her out for skeletal muscular problems and did not really see anything. She walks fine the first part of the walk but on the way home the last two days stopped to lay down twice. This was really not a long walk, about 45 minutes. She never was a fast walker but used to walk an hour with my other grey and her other walking friend before they died. She used to get really excited about walks, now she'll stand to have me put her halter on - but really shows no excitement.

Maybe I should not walk for a few days and see if she then develops interest again. Don't really know what else to have vet check since she had complete blood work, urinalysis and urine culture and an ultrasound just about two months ago - if that long.

My boy Bullitt has mild kidney disease and does not do well in the heat of the afternoon. He will go outside and run and play in the early morning though.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Poor girl. Sounds like a combination of things (maybe a little bit of grief still in there), but whatever the cause, I think I wouldn't be walking her for 45 minutes at the moment. Try cutting it down to 30 and see how she does. It could be that she didn't really want 45 minutes before but did it simply because the other dog was there walking with her.

I'd keep an eye on her - which clearly you are doing - and just watch and wait for now.

Not sure what the temperature difference is between here in NYC and where you are outside the city, but the heat has already been getting to Aquitaine this year. Much shorter walks. When we go out in the morning or at night and it is cool she is much perkier. It may be that the 45 minute walks are a thing of the past.

took her for two short walks today. she seemed ok. wanted to walk where her old walking partner lived at my cousins maybe she believes he is still there. tried to take her again around 9 pm but she showed no interest in going. so I did not want to force her. other than that she seems ok can't figure it out.

it has been warm but I walk generally in morning and evening sat and sunday I did walk about 9 am though and that is a little late it already starting to warm up

When we lost our Renie's first companion, she was a bit like that. She didn't lie down on walks, but she had no interest in anything.

She was a bit of a bossy girl, and used to chase other dogs away if they ventured too close to us (she was an off-leader), but without Jim, she was apathetic. Didn't want to chase other dogs away any more, but couldn't be bothered to interact with them either. She simply stood and suffered their presence till they went away. She went where she was told, when she was told, but there was no joy in her. She took very little interest in anything. When we got Jack, she perked up within a few days and was back to her usual, bossy self. If it hadn't been so sad to see her grieve like that it would have been comical. She liked to defend her 'old guys' from the rough youngsters and without her old guy she was lost.

I'm wondering if you could borrow a dog to walk with to see if it makes any difference to her? When you say she wants to go where her old walking partner used to live, it suggests she's missing her mate.

I agree with Silverfish. Can you invite another grey owner over for a joint walk? Or foster a dog? Or even just offer to dogsit a friend's dog long enough to see if Snow perks up?

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)