Thunder And Anxiety

Tonight we had a horrible thunder and lightening storm and Ruby was absolutely out of her mind for over 2 hours. She paced back and forth, tried to run at both doors, went in and out of her crate and panted and drooled. It was awful to watch and I felt helpless. I tried shutting the door to her crate when she was in it but she just whined loudly. Usually she likes this and quiets right down.

I know I have asked about this in years past, but I have got to try something else for her so that we don't spend the entire month of July in a panic. She has tried all the OTC meds, Thunder shirt, and Dap diffusers and collars. I have had her on a couple of prescription meds that didn't work, one being Valium. I am going to make her an appt. for next week to take her in and get something. What do you recommend ?

As a side note, the lightening caused a house about 7 blocks from me to explode into flames and burn to the ground. The 2 people escaped and I am now wondering if the combo of the lightening and sirens made Ruby worse than I have ever seen her. Very sad.

Karen

Several people have had good luck with trazodone...apparently even if you get it into them a little late it'll work.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Scouts_mom

Wow, we had thunder and lightening here in Portland, but nothing like you describe and thankfully my hounds were fairly relaxed thru it. I wonder if your girl was so upset because the storm was so close and she could feel the lightening in the air?

I've used Trazodone with my Henry for fireworks and it has worked well, but getting the right dosage is tricky. You don't want the poor dog stoned out of his mind, but you do want him calm. I've ended up giving about 1/2 of the dosage the vet prescribed.

The news said the bulk of the thunder hit over Salem and Woodburn and we got hit pretty hard. The fire was only 6 blocks away so I knew it was intense.

I honestly would be OK with her being stoned out of her mind rather than what happened the other night. I was afraid she was going to have a heart attack.

Will ask for the Trazadone and see if it works. I hate the 4th of July because of this.

Karen