Intentionally Induced Addisons

Hi folks:

I'm going to post this onto the cushings group on Yahoo, but I wanted to ask here if anyone who had a cushinoid dog ever intentionally induced addisons disease. As some of you may know, Wendell was diagnosed with cushings about a year and a half ago and I have been struggling to find the right medicine for him. He was on Vetoryl for about six months and then switched to Lysodren because he wasn't responding. We even tried a round of treatment for diabetes insipidus just in case. He's now taking a Lysodren every day but is still symptomatic. He is constantly thirsty, still has accidents all the time, is missing most of his fur on his thighs, and still has a pot bellied look.

Wendell's latest round of more extensive tests reveal that his other hormones are within the normal range but he is still not responding to the medication. His cortisol numbers look good as well. The vet thinks the next step may be to intentionally induce addisons. His recommendations are either another loading dose of Lysodren followed by an increased maintenance dose or hospitalization to fully induce addisons and then a steroid maintenance.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm not sure where to go or which is the best decision for us. I do not have insurance on Wendell so this has been a very expensive year for him and I do need to keep that in consideration. Wendell turns 8 on Wednesday.

Thanks for your time.

Kristine

And, if it helps, I do trust we are getting good care. Wendell goes to Point Breeze Veterinary Clinic in Pittsburgh and sees an internal medicine vet at PVSEC just outside of the city.

Yes, they did one when he was first diagnosed in January 2013 and then just did a second one about two weeks ago. His adrenal glands seem enlarged, but they were approximately the same size as each other. There was no indication of tumors on them.

as far as i remember- the cortex adrenal gland withers away and no longer functions in addison's disease. thus the support w/ predisone and florineff( i had a scottie w/ addison's) and salt supplement as well. we tried precorten shots and they just weren't as effective.

can you send your test results to either dr. cuto, cornell or u. of penn vet school? i would go for another opinion. just to get a clean set of eyes looking at the situation.

best of luck