Ate Sock And Now Won't Drink Water

Guest Sourbuzz

Guest Sourbuzz

So a few days ago I woke up to my dog vomitting one piece of kibble. Nothing really that surprising. He eats fast so sometimes he chokes a bit after he's eaten. However, about an hour later he vomitted all of his food. Not dry, but digested food. Thought maybe he had a bug so just kept an eye on him (especially since he wanted to eat it). He vomitted again, and again, about 6 times throughout the course of the day. Took his temperature: was 100.9 which is right down the middle for dogs.I was curious so see if he would still eat so I gave him a few pieces of kibble and he definitely had an appetite. However, I read a few forums and saw that you have to fast for 12-24 hours after their initial vomit session just in case there's any bacteria. So we stopped feeding him (making sure he drank water) and he was extremely lethargic.

Then a surprise the next morning: he went poop and lo and behold almost a whole sock was in it. Almost immediately he was back to his old self. We've started him on a bland diet (boiled chicken and rice) and he's eating it up like always. However he hasn't been wanting to drink water. Read a little online and found that pedialyte was ok (non flavored). For some reason he likes that and will drink it when we pour it in his bowl however he really needs coerced. He also pees it right out within the hour. Not sure if his body is actually absorbing it??

It's been about 2 days now and he's eating normally (poop still not like it used to be but better than before). He still doesn't want to drink water though.

I read that it could be due to a traumatic experience and he's somehow making the association between the vomitting and drinking water? Not entirely sure but we don't think this warrants a vet visit but perhaps someone with similar experience or insight?

Thanks!

At a minimum he may need fluids if he isn't drinking properly. Dehydration happens fast when there is vomiting and associated stomach issues. If he's still not drinking regularly, check for dehydration by pulling up on the fur along the back and seeing if it bounces back, or just stays up. If it stays up, he is dehydrated. Here is a link to some more info on dehydration. http://www.humanesocietyhbg.org/Media/pdfs/Signs_of_Dehydration_in_Your_Dog.pdf

We had to take Rocket to the ER twice (weekends or holidays, naturally - couldn't have been a weekday) when he stopped drinking and had other stomach issues. They administered SubQ fluids and he bounced back to eating and drinking pretty quickly.

Your dog's stomach is probably pretty torn up from the sock, and it might be a good idea to check with the vet about putting him on a course of Metronidazole to help heal the tummy and get rid of any bacteria. He might also need to be on some soft or canned food for a week or so, as kibble will continue to irritate any damage that may have been done.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Are you sure you are only missing one sock? It could take several days for another foreign object to come out either end.

If he won't drink as much water as you think is normal, add more water/pedialyte to his food.

Definitely follow these tips as posted above.

At a minimum he may need fluids if he isn't drinking properly. Dehydration happens fast when there is vomiting and associated stomach issues. If he's still not drinking regularly, check for dehydration by pulling up on the fur along the back and seeing if it bounces back, or just stays up. If it stays up, he is dehydrated. Here is a link to some more info on dehydration. http://www.humanesoc...in_Your_Dog.pdf

Call your vet in the morning and ask if subQ fluids can be given. However, if your dog exhibits the signs in the above paragraph, get to the E-vet. Dehydration signs are nothing to ignore.

Hope all is well in the morning.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

He may just not be drinking as much because he's getting more moisture in his food. Canned or cooked food (like boiled chicken & rice) contains a lot more water than dry kibble. If he's eating well and acting normal, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Instead of continuing to try to coax him to drink, just add water to his meals as macoduck suggested. Too much coaxing and making a big deal out of drinking can be stressful and actually make him not want to drink too.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest DeniseL

I would probably get X-rays myself, but then I have been down this path many times with Miami, who will eat almost anything. We have gotten very good at managing it for his protection, but it takes constant vigilance.

For example, about 3 weeks ago, he got my winter hat from somewhere when I was walking the girls. I took it away from him, gave it a quick on e over, it looked intact and that's the last I thought of it. Friday, he threw up the Pom Pom that was on the top of it. I never noticed it was missing, and it sat in his stomach all that time. He had been a little grumpy and nippy, probably not feeling good, but I didn't connect the dots.

While I was at work on Wednesday, my husband told me he got in a drawer and he had to take one of my gloves away from him. When I got home, I started looking for the other glove and it was nowhere to be found. He started throwing up his breakfast, so it was off to the vet. He has passed thing like that before, and had no obvious signs of blockage, so we waited it out ...and low and behold the glove appeared 2 days later on our morning walk. But Miami was sick from it, poor baby. Upset tummy and lethargic.

He is back 100% but if he was not drinking! I would be back at the vet.

Please be very careful if your hound has pica. We have gotten very lucky with Miami and have gotten fastidious about making sure nothing is around, but even we slip up. He has not needed surgery....yet, but any one of these things could have gotten stuck and then who knows....it could be life threatening,