How To Overcome Shyness In Public

After many months of brutal winter weather, Piper has started going for walks again. She came to us last July and within a few months would tolerate strangers petting her. She could also handle quiet, calm dogs. Now she seems frightened of both. She always gets lots of requests to pet her when we walk through town but she physically backs away. She seems terrified of other dogs. She will discretely watch quiet ones if they are a distance and then turn her head completely away within ten to twenty feet. If the dogs are barking or trying to play she will back up and try to bolt.

She loves her walks and I want to use the opportunity to develop her socialization skills. Any advice on how best to do so? Thanks.

Give treats when anything she's afraid of is around. As she gets better, move closer. Stop people from petting her and have them give treats instead. Sailor doesn't like being pet by strangers, neither do I, so i don't force it on him. I stop people and have them give him treats and Sailor does tricks for them. Everyone's happy because they're interacting, but no one is touching him.

Patience and time. Don't force it. Take it slow and give lots of treats if she'll take them.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

The head turning is not a sign of fear, it is a behaviour that dogs use to communicate to other dogs it is known as a "calming signal". Don't tolerate rude behaviour from other dogs, if she is genuinely nervous of them move her away to a distance where she no longer feels anxiety and reward calm behaviour.

The same applies with people, if she is willing to let certain people pet her then let them do so and reward her, or give the person a treat to offer her. If she is not comfortable with somebody just tell them so and move on, I find that people who care about dogs are quite happy to accept it if you explain that she is shy, and if they don't understand then you probably wouldn't want them petting her anyway.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Thanks, the article gives me some good perspective. Most people are great about giving her space if she turns away from being petted, but I will definitely try letting them give her a treat. Sounds like a good strategy for helping her become a little more tolerant of strangers.