High Protein In Urine

Guest sireltonsmom

Guest sireltonsmom

Mindy's vet has recommended we start her on Fish Oil. It needs to be made in USA or Canada, EPA and DHA should add up to 300 mg per capsule. We need to start with 2/day then gradually increase to 2 capsules twice a day. She hates pills. Especially big ones. My question is does anyone know of a brand that meets the criteria that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I think I can just pour capsule contents in food. Thanks.

Have you ruled out a uti--also, have you run a UPC test?? One thing you might to ask your vet is if you should start giving a low dose aspirin. Dogs with known proteinuria are not only losing protein in their urine they are also losing anti-thrombin 3 by default. Anti-thrombin is an anti-clotting factor. If the value becomes too low your hound will be prone to thrombosis.

Guest sireltonsmom

Mindy gets UTIs from time to time. She doesn't have one currently. She's 9.5 yrs. old and didn't get spayed til we got her (bounce back) at 5 yrs. Her UProt/creat ratio is 1.8 which is .8 hi out of top of range

Her total protein is 281.

Her u creat is 158 which is in range.

Her urinalysis was all normal except protein

The vet recommended American or Canadian mfg'd fish oil. I was hoping to get Brands that people might have known. Vet said hi ratio can be seen with dental disease or early renal disease could cause it. We're in the investigation part. We will do a blood draw and/or another urinalysis in a few weeks.

Appreciate your input.

Fastcasper. I'm not sure I could handle sardines nor how many to give LOL.

Guest gryhnd3

I use Wholistic Pet brand wild atlantic salmon oil, purchased from SmartPak. You can get tablets or a squirt bottle. I see it's sold at other places as well.

claudia at greyhoundgang.org sells Salmon oil in a pump (and many more good supplements) - it's usually cheaper than anywhere else.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

A 1.8 UPC isn't too bad :-). Actually, it's not that uncommon to have a hound diagnosed with glomerulonephritis but, any protein in the urine should always be followed up with-like your doing :-)

I wonderful fish oil is made by nutramax-Welactin 3. I like that nutramax performs a good quality control-certified mercury free.

It comes in a liquid form or gel caps. The liquid form is more concentrated.

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/dog/dog-skin-coat-health/welactin

Guest sireltonsmom

Tbhounds : thanks! I was concerned that it WAS uncommon. Will continue protocol and will get the liquid form. She's already taking Traumeel for hip pain and HATES pills. Appreciate the link.

Mary Jane: no. I told her I wanted to change Mindy from senior food if ok. I have a 3 yr. old boy and hoped to use same food. Vet gave me probiotic pills to help them adjust to change. She only said to get similar level of protein in new food. Probiotics finished today.

3dognite. I'll look into that too.

Ginny

Didn't your vet mention anything about a switch to a lowered protein/phosphorous diet to limit the load on the kidneys?

With normal renal values and only being proteinuric the kidneys are functioning fine they have in essence just become somewhat porous allowing protein (and anti-thrombin ) to pass into the urine.

One thing I hadn't mentioned earlier is you really should check the UPC multiple times (3) before determining if your hound truly has GN.

Guest sireltonsmom

tbhounds - THANKS! Will do that. I'm relieved that this isn't incipient awful about to happen. She's been SO healthy the 4 years we've had her that this kind of threw me. Your input has really eased my mind. We will get all this taken care of. Ginny

ginny, here's a link to a wide variety of cold pressed salmon oil http://www.doggiefood.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=salmon+oil in liquid form.

i have had dogs on different types of food and it's not that difficult, one just needs to lift the bowl as soon as they look like they are finished. good luck getting to the bottom of this.