Dogs Behind Privacy Fence

We live in a place where everyone has a privacy fence and yards are very small. Until a couple of months ago, no one lived behind us (there are two back yards behind us). The first people to move in have a small yappy dog. Every time I so much as opened my back door, the dog would start barking. At first, Marlow just ignored it - didn't even act like he knew a dog was there. After a few weeks though he started "stalking" the fence area (reminded me of cat). He would just stare at the fence while the other dog went crazy. Just recently someone moved into the other house and they have 3 dogs (a Golden and 2 small dogs). Marlow and other dogs stare at each other through the fence but now Marlow has started running along the fence and barking. He has scrapes on his paws so I think he his "hitting" at the fence.Now he wants to go outside all the time for the purpose of interacting with these dogs. I'm worried that somehow one of the other dogs will get hurt or just that something will happen. When I catch Marlow barking and running the fence I bring him back inside. I'm frustrated because I feel like I can't let my dogs out (they like to nap in the sun). Is there anything I can do to diffuse this situation? Marlow seems to be getting more and more cranked up. Thanks.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

I had a similar problem, only my 3 would race frantically up and down my fence, barking hysterically, while the 2 in one back yard, and 3 in the other backyard would do the same on their side of the fence. Of course, I'm out with my dogs, and the neighbors just open the door and let dogs out, and at some point later---sometimes 3-4 hours later--open the door to let their dogs back in. My dogs were jumping on and over each other, and crashing into the bushes I planted to discourage this behavior. Bushes didn't work---they just served to poke and scrape my dogs as the dogs plowed through and around them. So, I had my handyman put 4' slats of wood right over the existing fence. He bought 12' boards, cut them into 4' lengths, and nailed them to the existing wooden fence. Do I care that my neighbors see 2 layers of fencing? Nope. Now, if they hear any dogs in the yards, mine will sometimes jump up onto the fence to peer over, and sometimes bark a couple of times, but it only lasts a minute or two, and they go back to sniffing for bunnies in my yard. Money well spent. As I was typing this, I recalled one morning that really sealed the deal. My dogs got up a little after 6, and I went to let them out. Of course, one set of dogs was out already, so my dogs and I just waited on my porch for them to go in, since I didn't want the noise to bother anyone when the barking started up. As we waited, the other set of dogs came out. I ended up waiting until almost 7 before I could let mine out (I had decided that I would get dressed and leash walk them if they couldn't go out by 7). Anyway, the new fence was done that Saturday.

It's a solid 6 foot privacy fence that I can't see through. There are places where there are tiny 1/8 in gaps that you can look through. It's a brand new fence but soon DO is going to reinforce it which will involve putting a second panel in some places.

Filling in the gaps will probably help. It's the flashes of movement which are so tantalising in all likelihoood.

Maybe that's it - the flashes of movement. Will definitely look into filling those cracks as well as doubling the fence where we can. Thanks!

Until the cracks get filled in, it may help to make your yard that much more exciting than the other side of the fence-- if your dogs like playing or toys, maybe go outside with them (armed with treats!) to try to distract them from barking or approaching the fence? Especially if all they're interested in is the movement, they may not sustain their interest in the other dogs for long without payoff.

GT%20Sig_zpsykmtirf5.jpeg

Sam, formerly known as Macabres Mandate

Featuring his humans Alexandra & Paul