Nylabones Causing Bleeding Gums?

My friend has an Aussie/Husky mix puppy - and I got her a little Nylabone for him. He likes it - and she uses it to redirect him when he tries to chew on stuff he shouldn't (pillows, people's hair, etc etc). Working great. The older dog in the house - a senior lab - starting picking up the Nylabone. He hasn't been a chewer - or a toy player in years - but with the puppy in the house he's now engaging more in toys, chews, outside play, etc. That's a really good thing IMHO. Giving and older dog a new, more fun perspective on life. The 2 dogs are getting along great. The pup is making the older dog more active, and the older dog is doing a SUPER job of correcting the pup when it gets too rambunctious.

Anyway - when the older lab chewed the Nylabone - it was covered in blood. He put gouges in it - that of course the puppy's little teeth wouldn't - but my friend wants to know - should the lab just not HAVE the Nylabone - or does he have a mouth issue that should be addressed?

For now - the Nylabone is put away. So the older lab won't get it. But the question is - was the Nylabone the issue - or does the lab have a tooth/mouth/gum issue that needs to be addressed? The dogs get good vet care - and I told my friend to just put the chew away for now.

Also - should I suggest something more natural - like a pig ear - as a hard chew for the pup? Would that be better if the older lab picked it up? Or a bully stick? With 2 dogs in the house, no matter how vigilant she is - both are going to chew on the chewies. The puppy is at the stage where he needs something harder to chew on - but the older dog needs to be able to be OK with it too.

My friend has an Aussie/Husky mix puppy - and I got her a little Nylabone for him. He likes it - and she uses it to redirect him when he tries to chew on stuff he shouldn't (pillows, people's hair, etc etc). Working great. The older dog in the house - a senior lab - starting picking up the Nylabone. He hasn't been a chewer - or a toy player in years - but with the puppy in the house he's now engaging more in toys, chews, outside play, etc. That's a really good thing IMHO. Giving and older dog a new, more fun perspective on life. The 2 dogs are getting along great. The pup is making the older dog more active, and the older dog is doing a SUPER job of correcting the pup when it gets too rambunctious.

Anyway - when the older lab chewed the Nylabone - it was covered in blood. He put gouges in it - that of course the puppy's little teeth wouldn't - but my friend wants to know - should the lab just not HAVE the Nylabone - or does he have a mouth issue that should be addressed?

For now - the Nylabone is put away. So the older lab won't get it. But the question is - was the Nylabone the issue - or does the lab have a tooth/mouth/gum issue that needs to be addressed? The dogs get good vet care - and I told my friend to just put the chew away for now.

Also - should I suggest something more natural - like a pig ear - as a hard chew for the pup? Would that be better if the older lab picked it up? Or a bully stick? With 2 dogs in the house, no matter how vigilant she is - both are going to chew on the chewies. The puppy is at the stage where he needs something harder to chew on - but the older dog needs to be able to be OK with it too.

Guest Scouts_mom

A Nylabone caused my Scout's gums to bleed. When chewed a lot it gets a rough texture that is sharp and does hurt gums. My vet told me to throw it away as we were having a hard enough time keeping her gums healthy. I would suggest something like a bully stick.

Edited by Scouts_mom

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have the Lab's mouth/gums checked by the vet. Chewing on hard objects can sometimes irritate the gums and cause a little bleeding, but the chew shouldn't be "covered in blood". The presence of gingivitis, periodontal disease, or bad teeth will make it more likely to see bleeding.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

If it is the hard plastic Nylabone it will get sharp pieces with a heavy chewer. You were right in suggesting your friend to take it away, Pigs ears are great but a little greasy, a cow ear might be better for both or a bully stick. I would still supervise when the bully stick gets small.

Sometimes the chewed edges of a Nylabone do get a bit sharp.

I would also be concerned about the possibility of pieces being swallowed, if it is one of the durable non-digestible chews. When I worked for a vet the most difficult surgery I saw was a Schipperke with a blockage from the end of a Nylabone. It wasn't that it was so difficult to remove in theory, but it practice it was so slippery that the vet couldn't get a grip on it. She tried and tried and was about to close the dog up and call it a failure when it finally came out. After that I threw all of our dogs' Nylabone chew bones in the garbage.

A more digestible treat like a bully stick would probably be a better bet. Easier on the mouth and less of a hazard too.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest ayimera

The nylabone we bought (flexi) made our girl's gums bleed a little too. Not a ton but I read some other things that concerned me about the specific one I bought, so I switched to an antler and she hasn't had a problem since.

This was the hard plastic kind of Nylabone, and far too small for the lab. He put big gouges in it and made it very rough in no time.

I think that I'll suggest that they get his mouth checked (politely - just a casual suggestion) - and definitely get rid of the Nyla when the lab is around.

I'll also look for cow ears (I've never seen them) and bully sticks. My friend doesn't get out much, isn't online, etc - so I try to help with stuff as she asks.

Guest AngelPup

When I first gave Brady a Nylabone it made his gums bleed (shortly after we adopted him), but it didn't last long. I think it was just because he hadn't chewed on something in a while so his gums were sensitive--similar to if you haven't flossed your teeth in a while and get a bit of blood. That goes away once you get back into the routine. But being an older dog and depending on the quantity of blood, I would definitely have his teeth/gums checked.