Hello From Se Michigan! (St. Clair Shores)

Guest Divedet

Guest Divedet

Hello to everyone, I've been enjoying the forum without posting, but I figured it was about time to introduce myself.

I'm Dave, and I'm in the process of adopting my first Greyhound, Greta, a 3 year old retired racer.

greta.jpg

I'm working with a local adoption agency, and have my home interview (with her) tomorrow. I've been in the process of "dog proofing" my house for the last couple days, and learning what I can from the 2 books recommended by the adoption agency and here on these forums. I plan on adding a second dog down the road, and am planning on fostering new dogs until I find another "keeper." After that, I'll probably foster as needed, although I fear I'll wind up with a house full of dogs if I do!

I went to the rescue last weekend, with the intent of meeting the dogs and owners, "kicking tires" (so to speak) of the available dogs, and hoping to find one that just spoke to me...This little girl and I fell in love almost immediately, she's just adorable!

About 15 or 20 years ago, my ex wife and I were very excited about adopting a retired racer, and spent a lot of time at local adoptions, getting to know the breed and the owners. I wound up rescuing a couple dogs I came across at work, so with a home full of "paws," the idea never was realized. I recently got interested in the breed again, and the more I learn, the more I think their story, personality, and habits are about perfect for me.

So without rambling on, I'm glad to meet you all, very excited about my new family member, and hoping to learn as much as I can, and one day, to pay something forward as I learn more!

Welcome! Enjoy your last few days/weeks of freedom. You will never be free again. :) They just worm their way right in there and you can't be without at least one!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Divedet

Welcome! Enjoy your last few days/weeks of freedom. You will never be free again. :) They just worm their way right in there and you can't be without at least one!

That's what I'm hoping for!

Welcome from lower Delaware. I have some friends with hounds in your area.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Divedet

Welcome from lower Delaware. I have some friends with hounds in your area.

I keep running into them. I was at church on Tuesday night and met a woman who's on her 19th Greyhound in the last 25 years. Hers (Lucy) is an all black female, too, and we're going to set up some "play dates" when the weather's nicer!

Guest sireltonsmom

Congratulations on making the best decision of your life. Greta's gorgeous and you two are going to be such heart companions, I'm sure. Love that you are open to having more than one. We have two and often take care of friends' greyhounds so we enjoy as many as we can manage one way or another. Fostering is such a help to future parents - we are sitting for our 2nd foster, Gus, so we enjoy that our fosters are still part of our lives. You get a whole family when you adopt a grey. It's wonderful as you've already found out from your church friend. Playdates are so much fun. Just please be sure you have something eye level on any doors that are glass. Have fun, keep us posted.

:gh_runner:ghplaybow

Hi, Dave! :wave and welcome from a former Michiganian! Greta is absolutely gorgeous - no wonder you fell in love with her! Since you have been lurking and learning, you already know what a greyt resource GT can be. Don't be a stranger and please post more photos of Greta when you can.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Divedet

She's coming home today!

i had my home interview with the adoption agency last night, Greta tagged along to get the lay of the land. She seemed very at ease, and explored the house at a very leisurely pace....funny how slowly and deliberately she walks, knowing how fast she's capable of being!

I took a few photos to share.

4cc5779a-1ce8-41b6-a9ed-2096f7d3e636_zps

0d689018-be71-44e5-abf4-21b18f2744f5_zps

DSC_0004_zps7b8c60ca.jpg

My apologies for the "devil eyes," haha, it's hard to photograph black dogs in low light in a dark colored room, the flash was essential, or i got this:

DSC_0001_zpsd6449a32.jpg

She's gorgeous! And it seems no matter how much you dog proof your house, they always find "something" that you didn't realize you left out. Noah has been doing that to me in the living room...and I've had personal hounds and fosters! LOL

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Such a pretty girl! Congratulations and welcome to GT!

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Wow, what a beauty!! Congratulations and welcome to the greyhound family! Your life will never be the same way and it is a good thing. The greyhound community are so welcoming and full of knowledge that they are always ready to share.

It is a joy to watch your hound as she slowly realizes all this good stuff in her life now is hers and forever.

Hope you two can come to some of the greyhound events that are held all over the country, nothing better than vacationing with your greyhound and hundreds of other hounds.

Welcome- from Chicago- Janice, Luka and Peace

Guest Houston1219

Welcome! What a small world! I grew up in St Clair Shores! Lakeview alumni :-) I'm now out here in "The Clem" but still we are nearly neighbors. We have one greyhound, our first, named Houston. He's a silly laid back brindle boy who loves anyone who will let him near them. Best of luck with your little girl! Keep in touch!

Greta is beautiful! Welcome to the cult club! :D

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead