Advantix Medication-Safe Way To Administer

Guest rarmstrong

Guest rarmstrong

So, learned today that Willis does NOT like his tick and flea medication. Some flight and aggressive behavior when attempting to administer it-running away, growling, snapping. Used his muzzle to block a bite, but I would like to find a way for him to at least tolerate it better and I can more confidently apply it. He needs it, and I need to be able to put it on safely. I know its out of fear, and can managed with practice and some behavioral intervention. But I want to do it the smart way, for both Willis and myself.

Anybody else struggle with it? Any suggestions?

Edited by rarmstrong

Advantix was too strong for our John E. It bothered him very much. At the time, it didn't bother our other grey at all. Could your dog be experiencing some irritation from the medication?

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest rarmstrong

I started with doggie ice cream for him to lick while I did it. Being the smarty pants that he is he realized what was going on, picked up the cup and ran into his crate -_-

He wouldn't touch it for a bit, and then could be coaxed into it. Advantix then ice cream. Seem to deescalate his behavior. I was able to get 4 dots along his back, but not enough for the whole treatment (a little over half). But he just kind of hit a wall and so did I :/

With more practice and a bigger treat hopefully it will improve. Admittedly, I was unsure of where and how much to squeeze and was clumsy...and a little scared.

Advantix was too strong for our John E. It bothered him very much. At the time, it didn't bother our other grey at all. Could your dog be experiencing some irritation from the medication?

Maybe that's it? He has a vet visit for second round of vaccinations in 3 weeks. I'll ask then.

Collar and leash on him as well as his muzzle, and secure the leash to something to prevent running. Once he learns a successful defense (like running to his "safe spot"--his crate), the battle will really be on. It'll be better if you can completely prevent him from fleeing. (And you don't ever want a battle at or around his crate. That really should be his "safe spot," where bad things never happen.)

At my house, the favorite "don't move" location is the leash hooked to a post in my carport. (It's not flea and tick issues here; it's making sure each dog can eat a turkey neck without interference from the other. Their leashes are hooked to posts about 12 feet apart.) I've also known of people in apartments who closed the car door or trunk on the leash to keep a dog stationary.

I'd set up my gear where I planned to tether him: flea/tick meds, muzzle, and peanut butter. I'd collar and leash him and walk him there. I'd give peanut butter to lick. Then I'd muzzle him with a big glob of peanut butter in the muzzle to occupy him. Then I'd put on the flea/tick topical, then give additional peanut butter. Remove the muzzle, more peanut butter. Then undo the leash and take him for a walk. (You want to give the topical a bit of time to soak in before you let him loose in the house, to roll on the sofa or carpet.)

9247812613_4f2744a2fc.jpg

Angel Sam in front, Silver in back

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Advantix is strong and might be burning Willis. Greyhounds can be sensitive to chemicals.

If Willis panicked from feeding off of your reaction, that's one thing, but if you think he was feeling discomfort from Advantix, I'd encourage you to ask your vet for a different flea/tick product. You should be able to return Advantix for a full refund. (I've read about many other dogs (various breeds) who have experienced adverse reactions/side effects from Advantix.)

None of our Greyhounds or fosters (including spooks) have had Willis' type of reaction to topical flea/tick products. They simply act the same as if we're petting them (standing up), then we go for a nice walk while it dries. (Advantix is not used here since cats live with our hounds. Advantix is dangerous to cats.)

Hopefully, Willis will be non-reactive to a different product. If needed, perhaps someone from your Greyhound group, or your vet's office can help hold Willis next time.

(Tethering outside is risky. If he attempts to bolt or twist his body/neck in a panic, it could harm his neck.)

Advantix can cause a reaction called paraesthesia which is a weird skin sensation/numbness. Summit acted really itchy after his first dose of it so I contacted the company to speak to one of the staff vets. She recommended giving it with a vitamin E capsule (broken and dropped on the skin as well) to reduce the paraesthesia. I never actually did it though. The next month when I applied it he never reacted at all. I've also used it on Kili and she never reacted either.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Advantix can cause a reaction called paraesthesia which is a weird skin sensation/numbness. Summit acted really itchy after his first dose of it so I contacted the company to speak to one of the staff vets. She recommended giving it with a vitamin E capsule (broken and dropped on the skin as well) to reduce the paraesthesia. I never actually did it though. The next month when I applied it he never reacted at all. I've also used it on Kili and she never reacted either.

Reba went nuts itching after I applied it. I contacted the company and since I am not a vet or anybody important I could not get them to even reply to my question of how to best remove it. They totally ignored me. I figured that must mean that they were innudated with such complaints and didn't care so I quit using the stuff and won't use it again on any dog.

Should only take a couple seconds to apply? If the tube is like a Frontline tube -- snap-off tip -- one thing some of my dogs haven't liked is the sound of the tip snapping off. That's evidently a scary sound if it happens behind your head, where you can't see it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest rarmstrong

Should only take a couple seconds to apply? If the tube is like a Frontline tube -- snap-off tip -- one thing some of my dogs haven't liked is the sound of the tip snapping off. That's evidently a scary sound if it happens behind your head, where you can't see it.

You have to apply it across 4-6 points across the back (per the instructions), so it takes a little longer.

I'm considering just taking it back and getting one that requires that you administer it once since it's so aversive to him.

Edited by rarmstrong

Another thing you can try is just open the tube, start at the base of the tail, and swipe it on up his spine (or just to one side of the spine -- more comfortable) in one go. That isn't going to change how it works.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest rarmstrong

Advantix is strong and might be burning Willis. Greyhounds can be sensitive to chemicals.

If Willis panicked from feeding off of your reaction, that's one thing, but if you think he was feeling discomfort from Advantix, I'd encourage you to ask your vet for a different flea/tick product. You should be able to return Advantix for a full refund. (I've read about many other dogs (various breeds) who have experienced adverse reactions/side effects from Advantix.)

None of our Greyhounds or fosters (including spooks) have had Willis' type of reaction to topical flea/tick products. They simply act the same as if we're petting them (standing up), then we go for a nice walk while it dries. (Advantix is not used here since cats live with our hounds. Advantix is dangerous to cats.)

Hopefully, Willis will be non-reactive to a different product. If needed, perhaps someone from your Greyhound group, or your vet's office can help hold Willis next time.

(Tethering outside is risky. If he attempts to bolt or twist his body/neck in a panic, it could harm his neck.)

I think it was the combination of both. As soon as I applied the first drop, he shuddered and then avoided me. As I continued, I imagine it got increasingly more irritating, I was becoming nervous, and he was probably pissed that I wasn't acknowledging his more appropriate signals of "I don't like this".

After each episode, I made sure to back away once he was calm, called him over and pet him. I wanted to reinforce more appropriate signals of discomfort (i.e. avoiding my gaze).

I'm noticing that he is, in general, a more fearful dog. Totally understandable since I've had him a few days shy of 2 weeks. At the vet's office, he pants and avoids the vet. To give him his shot, one person held him. He didn't growl or anything, so that probably be more effective.

I think I'm going to talk to my vet about it, get a milder tick medication, and until he becomes more confident (hopefully through time, adjusting to me and my home, and the obedience class we are starting on Sunday) have my boyfriend hold him while I give the medication.

He's a sweetie, just very scared. We need to work on it, and I will be patient because he is a fantastic guy.

Before I apply anything topically, I always start with stroking Ben from his head to his tail for a few minutes. Then I apply the meds during the stroking session. He doesn't like to have anything "different" done to him and we only use heartworm meds for 6 months of the year, so I suspect he's wary because he's not used to it.

Willis' reaction seems to have some discomfort attached to it.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross