Training A Dog Who Is Way Too Excited About Food

Guest jschwe

We've had Superbird for a little over a year now, and we've given him some basic training but I want to start teaching him some other things. Mainly because it's so cold outside lately and he's getting serious cabin fever, I thought it'd be good for us both. The problem I have with him is that he is SUPER food motivated. As soon as he sees that I have a treat he goes bonkers. He basically just keeps throwing himself into a sit/lie down and back, hoping to get a treat. Anyone know any tips for getting him to calm down enough to think for two seconds about something other than food?

Maybe try some clicker training. Lots of good info on it if you search the site for that term. Good luck!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I second clicker training! Our food obsessed hound has transferred his 'food obsession' to 'clicker obsession'. He learns everything much faster with the clicker and is more interested in us (+clicker) than the treats. It has really helped in training.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Clicker training but also:

First step: work on impulse control by teaching "wait"

I can empathize, though. Capri is also extremely food motivated and if it's something she really, REALLY wants, she will flip through her repertoire of tricks at racing greyhound speed and all I can do is fall down laughing. I swear I can hear the circus calliope music when she does that. It's very challenging to reward a sit when she popped out of the sit and into a down then a rollover before I can say "good girl". Clicker really does help with that. Oh, also try using food treats that are closer to the boring side, and tiny so that he doesn't get quite so excited.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

My rattie is VERY food motivated. What I have done is to back off on the treat value. If she will work eagerly for kibble, why use steak which makes her absolutely crazy? I hold off on that for high-distraction times. And I sometimes start off with a few rounds of "find it", so that she gets some of her initial energy out and starts concentrating.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys! Looks like I will have to start clicker training him. And to those who suggested trying less interesting treats--if it is edible, and I am holding it, and it looks like I might possibly at some point think about offering it to him, he is interested. If I make eye contact with food in my hands he puts his butt right to the floor. Although considering when I got him I had to keep him leashed during meals to prevent him lunging for my food, I suppose I can't complain about sitting down!