Teeth Hurting

Guest jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

Hey all, it has been forever since I've posted here! Life has just been so busy.

(I have two greys, Lizzie aka Pulitzer aka The Spotted Dog and Brandy, Gigi crossed the bridge in 2011. We live in Albany NY. All my siggy info is prob wrong!)

My poor Brandy's teeth are hurting. She's doing that thing where she's licking and chewing at the air, and I can tell it hurts to eat.

Our vet appointment is Tuesday, yay for long weekends (I emailed them to see if there's any chance they can get us in tomorrow). We've had this problem before, she has such severe gingivitis. I do brush her teeth but these past few days there's been so much blood that it has been hard.

I gave her one of those greenies (the chews) a few weeks ago and that seemed to really help, but that was a few weeks ago.

Can anyone recommend something to ease the pain a bit to get us through to our appointment?

Edited by jessicaksu125

I have no dental advice for you. Just wanted to say it's good to see yo back. Please give us an update after the dental visit. Are you still in the newspaper business?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest jessicaksu125

I'm in the online journalism business now! And thanks! I should post more here!

In unrelated news, I see my signature now and can't stop looking at Gigi. I have her food bowl and her leash on my mantle. I miss her so much :(

I'm thinking no to the buffered aspirin. Might cause more bleeding and conflict with what your vet will give.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I would third the no asprin, but you can call your vet in the morning and see what she thinks about prescribing something, there are other good options.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest jessicaksu125

The vet got me in yesterday (thankfully). Prescribed antibiotics and an anti inflammatory, which will hopefully bring the inflammation down to a point where I can brush again. They say she should have a good cleaning sometime this year, and possibly a couple removed. Poor girl!

Not sure I understand why your vet feels there's extractions possible but, claims you can wait on the prophy????

I had the same question--she's in pain, she has serious issues going on with her teeth--is there another medical issue that makes a dental unwise at this point?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Just wanted to say, "Hi," to a neighbor of sorts. I'm in Niskayuna, a suburb of Schenectady/Albany and just west of Colonie. Don't know if you're familiar with the area enough to know what I'm talking about, but generally speaking, I'm about 12 miles west of Albany city limits. If for some reason you decide you're not happy with your vet, I go to a terrific practice just west of the city of Albany on Western Avenue in Guilderland. I'd be happy to share the name if you'd like. They have a large Greyhound clientele so are very Greyhound medical savvy.

Guest jessicaksu125

@tbhounds He referred to the antibiotics approach as a bandaid. I think he's a little nervous about greyhounds and anisthetics, so I might try and find a vet around here with more experience with greyhounds if I choose to go this route. He's a new vet to me, since I just moved her, Parkside Veterinary Hospital in Albany. He takes his time with me, answers all my questions, and it's affordable.

Two days on the antibiotics and she's feeling much better!

@Feisty49 Thanks! As I mentioned above, greyhound savvy would be a plus for me. I didn't know where to go so I went with one someone recommended (plus he's close, and they're open a full day on Saturdays). Also do you know of a good dog park for them to run (if this winter ever ends)

@tbhounds He referred to the antibiotics approach as a bandaid. I think he's a little nervous about greyhounds and anisthetics, so I might try and find a vet around here with more experience with greyhounds if I choose to go this route. He's a new vet to me, since I just moved her, Parkside Veterinary Hospital in Albany. He takes his time with me, answers all my questions, and it's affordable.

Two days on the antibiotics and she's feeling much better!

@Feisty49 Thanks! As I mentioned above, greyhound savvy would be a plus for me. I didn't know where to go so I went with one someone recommended (plus he's close, and they're open a full day on Saturdays). Also do you know of a good dog park for them to run (if this winter ever ends)

I go to Albany County Veterinary Hospital located at 1506 Western Avenue, Albany. If you know the area, it's just a bit beyond Stuyvesant Plaza on the opposite side of the road. They are terrific. Annie has had a couple of issues this week (arthritis and a probable diagnosis of Pannus), and both vets have looked at her to get the other's input. The arthritis they're handling (right now with pain/anti-inflammatory med). I'm being referred to a local animal ophthalmologist for a confirmation of Pannus. They're open 8 to 5 weekdays and 8 to noon Saturdays. As I think I said previously, they have a large Greyhound roster and the practice serves the Greyhound adoption group in Delmar. Annie had a dental there in January and I wasn't at all concerned. Also, to be very sexist, the practice is owned and run by two female vets, which I prefer for medical issues (both my dog and myself), and they and their staff are very likeable.

Dog Parks: A list of local-to-Albany off-leash dog parks can be found at this web site: http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/parks/city/albany_ny_us/

Generally speaking, I'm not a dog park person, though going to a park where I know another Greyhound would be would be fun. The issue with dog parks for me, besides the obvious concerns of fleas and diseases, is my quiet, non-assertive, never plays with toys, almost boring Greyhound girl sometimes becomes a fierce competitor with other dogs at these parks. She initiates running, runs shoulder-to-shoulder for a while, and then pulls ahead and cuts them off and the other dog often goes head over heels. :ghplaybow Either that or she spends her entire time sniffing the perimeter while I stand there bored. If you'd like, I'd love to meet up with you and your houndies when(1) the snow has gone and (2) the mud season has passed. Keep the idea in mind and we can PM later on when the weather is good.

Glad to read that Brandy's feeling better, but I'd give Albany County Vet Hospital a call. Good luck!

Edited by Feisty49

Guest jessicaksu125

Thanks so much! My problem with dog parks is that my girls tire so quickly, they'll run for 10 minutes then nap for an hour, but after this awful winter I'm thinking they might want to stretch their legs.