Staring At The Wall

Guest randycareagain

Guest randycareagain

I've had my grey, Bret Michaels, for about a week now. He is 5 so he has raced for a long time. He has attached himself to my bathroom. He will just stand or lay in the bathroom and stare at the wall for hours. Is this a normal behavior for a newly adopted greyhound of his age? Is this just a behavior to cope with stress until he gets used to a new routine and apartment?

One of the things that I really liked about Bret when I adopted him was that he had an odd tendency to be backwards in his crate with his butt facing the door and his face towards the wall.

I'm not too worried about him because I think he will come around (literally and mentally) eventually. What are some of your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

James

While it's not normal, I also don't think it's particularly unusual. Newly retired and adopted dogs can become overwhelmed quite easily. If he's comfortable in his "safe spot," and he's not overly in your way, I would put a nice bed in there and let him be for a while. Make sure he is eating and drinking adequately, and that he maintains a regular potty schedule. Taking him for walks (separate from potty walks) will help the bonding process. Also, many people will hand-feed a new dog's meals for this purpose, as well. Just to be on the safe side, you should have him checked over by a vet to rule out any medical causes.

It can take several months for a new dog to settle in to home life completely. As he becomes more comfortable, he will begin to spend more time away from his "safe spot" and more time with his new family. Have several beds or comfy spots in the rooms you spend the most time - not right in the middle of things but where he can feel a part of life, yet not in the thick of the activity. If he's food motivated, encourage this by praising him gently and giving treats when he's out with you.

Congratulations and good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just relax and let him settle in. He is probably feeling overwhelmed. Take it slow and let him come to you when he is ready.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I guess that's the thing. I can't imagine having any of my greys in the bathroom, but we have a small room - there's not enough space! Does he have a crate? If not, have youi considered getting one to see? If so, I guess he isn't using it? He might just be one of those who takes a while to blossom (they're the best kind in my opinion!).

Mouse still takes herself to her crate when she wants some time out and she's been out of the racing kennel since April 2013.... and back with us for 3 months now