Adult Or Puppy Food?

At what age is a greyhound considered an adult? We adopted a 21 month old and the kennel was feeding her adult food. I just want to make sure this is appropriate for her age. We just got her and haven't gotten to the vet yet. Thanks!

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

I'd feed an adult food. I switched Kili over around 13 months when the majority of her growth was finished.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks! I think her size has me feeling like she is a puppy, puppy. We've never had a greyhound this small (we usually go for the big hounds). She is such a petite little thing, especially compared to Marlow. I forget that she isn't going to get any taller :). Thanks again.

Guest Giselle

Yes, many large breed owners prefer to feed "Adult" food even as puppies because the idea is that it will slow growth down. I personally don't know how much validity there is to that. I think early spay/neuter has a much larger effect, but I'm open to hearing about any recent studies or other lines of scientific evidence.

adult

i was told by my vet when felix was a pup that the new reports findings were that there weren't any advantages to puppy food, feed him adult food. keep the protein levels moderate, no need for rocket fuel and let your dog take it's time to fill out. large breeds should(as giselle mentioned) grow/develop slowly. your pup most likely won't fill out until the 3rd year, so be patient.

adult

i was told by my vet when felix was a pup that the new reports findings were that there weren't any advantages to puppy food, feed him adult food. keep the protein levels moderate, no need for rocket fuel and let your dog take it's time to fill out. large breeds should(as giselle mentioned) grow/develop slowly. your pup most likely won't fill out until the 3rd year, so be patient.

What would be considered moderate protein levels?

Linda Arndt (The Great Dane Lady) has been around awhile and has some good info on her website. I tried Precise a few years ago (probably not the right one) and didn't like the results. I only tried one kind and if I tried it again, I'd choose a different formula.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/feed_program_for_all_breeds_ages_sizes_2012.htm

another take on feeding large breeds:

http://www.mydog8it.com/puppy_care.htm

Never feed your Great Dane puppy food!

Feeding Great Danes puppy food, even large breed formulas can have serious consequences. The protein and fat levels of most brand puppy foods are way too high for a growing Dane. There is an exception however, use the link in the paragraph above and refer to the, "dog food industry is evolving", section.

http://www.all-about-great-danes.com/feeding-great-danes.html

I can tell you this is a total turn around from 46 years ago when I got my first Dane. I believe the change has come around due to better dog food.

The last Dane I owned grew from 34# to 130# in around 7 months. I used a puppy food and supplemented one small bottle of calcium. This was back in the late 80s. So, in 20 years it had changed tremendously. Now, another 20 years later, I can see the reason for more change.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

moderate protein levels somewhere between 22-24%, fat around 14%

you will find the protein which works best for your dog thru trial and error. don't be hesitant to add rice while transitioning, white rice works wonders.

yeah, i like the great dane lady's web site and doberdawn....i think that's the name, she has fantastic dremel instructions and pics.