Help! Winter Blues!

Guest Houston1219

Guest Houston1219

So way up here in Michigan things are on the miserable side of miserable... sub-zero temperatures plus a foot of snow and a dog who hates the cold like the average cat hates water make for an interesting mix of "bump-on-a-log" and cabin fever. I have about given up on walks because after 5 minutes it is like walking an anchor- he can't wait to get home!

Does anyone have any ideas for indoor entertainment? We live in a small condo (small yard, perfect potty patch!) but not much indoor room to romp. Houston wants nothing to do with the cold! Any interactive toys you have had sucess with? Chewy treats that aren't gulped down in 5 minutes?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Guest Scouts_mom

A couple of ideas:

Take him to a local pet store and let him choose a toy.

While he is out pottying, hide small treats around the house.

Play flying stuffy. This is a favorite at my house. I throw a stuffy up in the air so that it hits the ceiling and falls. My hounds and I never know which way it will fall. This often leads to a game of gentle tug-a-war.

Thank you for asking this excellent question that could help others too. :)

- Indoor exercise idea if your hound is physically able: If you have (or can find) carpeted stairs to walk up/down inside a building, then repeat, repeat, repeat. (Elevation works muscles well. Ensure stairs are closed back (vs. open riser) stairs for Greyhound's safety.)

- Place kibble pieces (or small plain meat or cheese treats) under plastic cups and play the "find it" game to encourage your hound to find the cups with treats. (No garlic or onion spices on meat; both are toxic to dogs.)
- Teach hound a name for individual toys. Then teach hound to find specific toy/s by name.
- Play hide and seek.
- Place separate types of dog scented treats in individual small cardboard boxes (empty boxes discarded from a grocery or drug store). Teach dog individual scent names, then teach dog to find the correct scent/box, placed on floor level within a couple of rooms.
- "101 Things to Do with a Box" helps work a dog's mind if you don't have other interactive puzzles and toys: http://www.clickertr...ng.com/node/167
- Hide a couple of toys around the house for hound to find. ("Tuffie Toys", rated 9 or 10 on their toughness scale, are excellent and very long lasting. http://www.entirelypets.com/tuffyringyellow.html)
- Puzzles: I try to find slider type wooden puzzles (vs. hard plastic loose pieces, which can be deadly if chewed and ingested). All puzzles should be used only when supervised.
Dog boredom relievers:
"Kong"
Excessive chewers may like "Durachew" bones (by Nylabone), "souper" size works well for Greyhounds, bacon or chicken flavored.
If needed, peanut butter can be smeared on it to teach the dog it's a chew toy.
(Just my opinion: Softer flexible Nylabones are not safe for Greyhounds because they break chunks apart too easily.)
(Entirely pets or Amazon are well priced sources for several items mentioned above.)

When my kids get antsy, I take them to the pet store to pick out a treat. Or I will sometimes take them to a meet &greet that we normally don't go to so they can visit with other greyhounds. That really tires them out. Where in Mich are you located?

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Guest DogNewbie

I don't know where you are located, but if it is really cold (as it usually is here in Southern Alberta), I take Wiley to Pet Smart or one of the other pet food supply stores and walk up and down the aisles, let him sniff and explore- then of course buy something so we don't get kicked out! :P At least this way he is up and walking- it is not strenuous but it is better than nothing. I am also working on some basic training so this will work his mind a bit. Kongs don't work for him- he will eat what is sticking out, but he won't work to get at the inside. I went to my local pet store and they helped me find a treat that lasts a little longer. Wiley eats the DentaStix in 2 seconds!

Good luck!

Guest goofydog

2 0f the 4 local Home Depot & Lowes stores allow leashed, well behaved dogs. Once we hit those there are several big box pet supply stores that allow the same dogs as noted before. Get Em is pretty much a house plant so puzzles, searching for treats or toys or kongs are wasted on him. He craves car rides so we often go for a spin and maybe stop someplace new for a short walk about. He's coming 12 in April so isn't up for any long walks.

Visit a friend - with your dog. I usually don't take Diana with me when I visit friends - but we're going stir-crazy. I've gotten the green light to bring her to 2 friend's houses. I'm pretty sure just getting out of the house and going somewhere new will be exciting and entertaining for her.

Guest DeniseL

We have been taking izzy for agility classes. Its inside and keeps her active and using her noggin. We even took Thyme last week for am indoor gym session where you rent the room and equipment, its like an indoor, private, dog park with every toy you could imagine. She liked it, so we took her for an agility class, too. Mine hate this weather and have cabin fever. I will reserve some more gym and classes for next week...

Edited by DeniseL

Guest Houston1219

Thank you all so much for your great ideas!

We live in the metro Detroit area, so winters can be brutal (we had a 60 degree temperature swing last week) The Great Lakes are not-so-great when it comes to our bi-polar weather! (Fostr_Mom would surely agree! lol)