Gabapentin

I highly recommend a pill popper: http://www.entirelypets.com/pillgun.html

I've used these for dogs and cats for decades. Last year, I needed to administer over 20 pills per day (including Gabapentin, and yucky, terribly bitter Tramadol). I keep pill poppers in a few places in the house so they're always within arm's reach of pet meds.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd suggest running your question by your vet (or the pharmacist who filled the prescription) to insure your hound's Gabapentin is not sustained-release. (I know there are several different forms of Gabapentin for humans.) The taste may or may not be worse for the dog if capsule is opened. If he's already spitting it out, I'd assume he doesn't like the taste when he bites into the capsule. Another option is to ask your vet if it's available in a pet-safe flavored liquid. Good luck.

Yes, we have done this previously.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

The human gabapentin in liquid form contains xylitol but, you could have it compounded by a veterinary compounding pharmacy. You can choose liquid or even meat flavored chewable tablets. Wedgwood pharmacy is one of the vet pharmacys that I have used often.

• 3 weeks later...

Since it hasn't been said, I just need to add that gabapentin tastes INCREDIBLY bad. It is like, the most bitter of all the bitters. So just be aware of that. That said, I did open up my gaba capsules and put the powder into a meatball for my girl Maple for a while. She just scarfs down her meatballs so it wasn't an issue. But don't let your pups taste it. :)

And to reiterate: the human liquid form would be toxic to dogs because of the xylitol (which is used because it tastes to horrible otherwise). I have also read that it can be compounded into liquid form without the xylitol, but I question how easy it would go down. :)