Sudden Diarrhea, Questions Rop

Just went downstairs to find a ton of diarrhea all over my dining room floor. Mover hasn't shown any other symptoms of being ill and has been accident free for probably 8 months now. I think he must have really had to go and couldn't hold it. As soon as I saw it, I let him out and he went to the bathroom again. What other symptoms should I look out for? His appetite has been fine thus far. Should I feed him something different this evening, in case he's having an upset stomach? Suggestions on what to feed? His current diet hasn't changed at all, no new treats, etc.

Guest greytexplorer

What Spottydog said. Yep.

Do that tomorrow.

After that, you could add his regular kibble (half as much) to the chicken and rice concoction. Do that for 1 day.

Then, go back to regular meal and quantity.

Absolutely fast for 24 hours, that's what my vet prescribes. If any further diarrhea you should take him to the vet for metronidazole or see if the vet will give it to you.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

UPDATE: Mover was up all night having diarrhea and vomiting. Took him to the vet this morning and she gave him a bunch of fluids, an antibiotic shot and something to slow down the GI tract. She said to give him very small amounts of food throughout the day and see how he tolerates it. Feeding a bland diet right now. Offered a little bit of the chicken and rice when we got home and he refused. Also offered him some treats, which he also refused. I'm sure he's feeling pretty bad right now. Are chicken and rice are the things I should offer on a bland diet?

Boil ground chicken and then rinse it thoroughly to get all of the fat/grease out. Then mix with cooked rice or overcooked pasta. That's after at least a 24 hr fast - just water. Our vet prefers 36 hour fast. Give him water.

Would ground turkey be okay, or just ground chicken?

He knows best.........for now. Fasting is really the best thing until the meds can kick in, assuming that it's just gastroenteritis. We had a virus going around our area a month or so ago (confirmed during a Vet visit with Dalton) with the same symptoms and both of mine had it, thankfully not at the same time. Fasted Dalton for 24 hours (only bone broth) and then resumed small meals of boiled white potatoes and boiled chicken for 24 hours, then larger meals of the potato/chicken for 24 hours, then re-introduced regular food over the next 48 hours. No problem.

Second one (Fuzz)..............not so much. Had to do steps 1,2 and 3 two times. The potato/chicken was still too much for her even after 24 hours of fasting/bone broth.

Mine don't do well with rice even if I cook it to death with twice the water of a normal recipe. I'm sure they would do "ok" with pasta, but as an enticement, I use the broth from the boiled chicken to mash the potatoes. They seem to like that best.

Getting them to drink when they have been vomiting seems to be a common challenge, so that's why I like bone broth. You could even add some unflavored pedialyte just to make sure that Mover is getting all he needs.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Cerenia, by pill or injection, has been given to our dogs and it helped tremendously to slow down diarrhea. Note though that the injection hurts when being given.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png